I have a dream

treetops

That majority of people do not believe in a inevitable apocalypse.

Where people not only consider but believe in a utopia that can be created by man.

Where people believe in themselves and the good intentions of there fellow man in achieving peace on earth.

Believe in humanity do not dwell on our down falls, do not believe in a future in which humans will destroy themselves.

Self or spiritual destruction is not a absolute. It is merely a theory, which is only fueled by the belief in it.

We are not alone, you are not alone, the love in this world can conquer all, do not believe in the interpretations of the metaphors in revaluations, they are unknown. To believe in no hope for humanity in the future is a bleak and naive perspective.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, this world is beautiful and we are not doomed to destroy it. We are destined to embrace it.

I cry tears for this world and the ignorance that twists it. Let freedom ring. This world is not doomed. We are blossoming into a amazing future, only limited by our beliefs in that future.

I respect the people on this forum, I am drunk with liquor and knowledge. Well thank you all for reading, comments are appreciated.

"Utopia", the Word Means "Nowhere".......

Keep in mind the only a select few could put aside their aside their self interests and ego to create such a society, and even then I doubt it.

Man, at his core, is an animal, and individual survival will always trump any higher purpose he has deluded himself into thinking he has.

Should a gathering of individuals be able to create this grand dream, but without possessing "mutually assured destruction", the rest of the human race will simply beat them up and take it off them.....!

Arg drunken philosophy strikes again. I think through genetic engineering we will create some sort of super vegetable to feed the world and develop a alternative environmentally friendly fuel within the next 20 years, though I bet people had the same hopes 20 years ago. Really I think we may see something were every humans basic needs such as food, water, health care and shelter will be met withing the next 70 years. Man cant live on bread alone but it will be the first step towards peace on earth. When human basic needs are met they are less likely to pick up a club. My dog is a animal, its basic needs are met and it has no grand scheme against me. Now if it was starving, cold and thirsty like when we first found it, all bets were off. Coincidentally enough it also had a bum leg, it growled and snarled at anyone within sight or sound of it. It just showed up on our porch one day and took up refuge under a bush. We felt bad for it even though it seemingly hated everything around it, gave it water while it barked at us and fed it. 3 days past and something clicked in its head, it walked right up to my dad and licked him. Its never showed any aggression at us since. This dog sits stays is house trained doesnt chew anything, well its an ideal dog in my opinion. We took it to the vet got it taken care of and as I said before all is well. I know humans are more complex then a dog, but when there subconscious is not burdened with that primal fear of running out of food or water, something clicks they become more civil. And if you add health care and shelter to the mix, its even better.

Nice thoughts indeed treetops, unfortunately they are idealistic.....and completely unrealistic. there are evil people in the world,always has been....always will be. and evil cannot be reasoned with or bargained with. when extend an understanding or willing hand to it... it exploits it as weakness. the only way to deal with evil is to destroy it, period. The English tried it with the Magna carta, the US tried it with isolationism, Russia tried it with Hitler and the non aggression treaty, and so on. while your self described gin induced' we are the world' was mellifluous, its just not the way things work on this planet. that's my two cents :)

mellifluous
Verily, thou art a Jedi Master of words...!
My dog is a animal, its basic needs are met and it has no grand scheme against me. Now if it was starving, cold and thirsty like when we first found it, all bets were off. Coincidentally enough it also had a bum leg, it growled and snarled at anyone within sight or sound of it. It just showed up on our porch one day and took up refuge under a bush. We felt bad for it even though it seemingly hated everything around it, gave it water while it barked at us and fed it. 3 days past and something clicked in its head, it walked right up to my dad and licked him. Its never showed any aggression at us since. This dog sits stays is house trained doesnt chew anything, well its an ideal dog in my opinion. We took it to the vet got it taken care of and as I said before all is well.
That's what separates man from the animals, they appreciate whatever they're given, and take only what they need, while mankind sits around and demands ever more! And BTW, for your own safety, only try such rescue with normally domesticated animals

Well anyway, the last time somebody said, "I have a dream", it brought on a demand for social entitlements, and a wave of illegitimate children the likes of which the world has never known.

And instead of "super vegetables", maybe we should look at some form of population control, since the most worthless and dependent among us seem to find it necessary to produce the most useless copies of themselves.

As a species we basically suck, and unlike many other species, we are categorically unable to share resources or tolerate other creatures.

Near the beginning of Genesis man gets to, "be created in God's image", and has dominion over the animals. I guess that means to have the sovereign right the slaughter them pointlessly for sport, to take their land, and poison them slowly with insecticides, oil spills, and land fills.

"In God's image" we are, wow, that's hubris!

Actually Treetops, I hope you're not in public school, because if you went to the schools I did and started spouting this garbage, somebody would beat you senseless, take your Ipod, your lunch money, your wallet and books, then leave you for dead.

I am no longer gin induced hehe, well what I was really trying to get across is that a man made or spiritually made apocalypse is not the only way to look at the future of man kind. Majority of people through religion or years and years of negative media poured into there head, believe in these 2 ends to humanity. Which is real negative outlook and people do not fully grasp how much these views damage society. I don't fully grasp the damaging effects either, the scale of this imprints effect on our mentalities is unknown to me. Any who people just need to know its ok to believe that some spiritual rapture isn't inevitably going to destroy the earth, and we aren't such hopeless beings, that given time we will destroy ourselves. Sure the sun can flare up any time and we would all be fried to a crisp, but hey it may not.

Im 26, I dont spout out at people lol. Just some forum thoughts im not on the street preaching. I went to public school, yeah hmm I guess in my drunken state the other night my words came on to strong I edited out some embarrassment. Im not a fanatic.

I am just starting to go to college as I have said in other post.

"Apocalypse" sort of carries the connotation of a singular event. I think we'll just die out gradually, while sitting in our own filth. Have a nice day.

Very likely will all die with diapers on, but I don't think that will cause the end of mankind. Own filth huh, reminds me of the movie idiocracy(its pretty funny). So how do you really think its going to end cranky?

Well, first of all, I've seen "Idiocracy", and what struck me most about it was that it seemed to be set too far in the future. To me it seemed more like the day after tomorrow.

Our culture has descended into the violent, vulgar, crass, belligerent, and banal. Stupidity rules, and the upper class are worthless parasites, and the lower class are lilies of the field, they neither toil nor spin. Actually they siphon off a good deal of the social entitlements by trading drugs for welfare money and food stamps.

When you start accepting phrasiology like, "we have a service based economy", without seeing the need for digging up natural resources, growing food, manufacturing goods, and maintaining competitive pricing with the rest of the world, you get a fix on how it will likely end for us. When you're unwilling to work in jobs that every other country finds people tripping over one another to fill, you get a sense of how it will end for us.

When you have a flourishing drug based sub-economy operating within the standard one, you get an idea of where our treasure, and our priorities lie.

How will this all end? We'll probably become an "Idiocracy", and sooner rather than later.

Actually, if anyone thinks a "service based economy" can survive, they're already living in an idiocracy.

Words of Wisdom on Animals

I’ve heard dogs and animals being mentioned in connection with man’s behaviour. Indeed, as aptly pointed out by the captain, they should not be compared to humans. A couple of words of wisdom on the differences:

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain)

A cat can be trusted to purr when he is pleased, which is more than can be said for human beings. (William Ralph Inge)

The cat seldom interferes with other people's rights. His intelligence keeps him from doing many of the foolish things that complicate life. (Carl van Vechten)

When a man wants to murder a tiger, it's called sport; when the tiger wants to murder him, it's called ferocity. (George Bernard Shaw)

Hmm heres a thought, Maby we can beat poverty world wide by letting the starving millions eat the homeless, ah yes theres a fragmented Utopia lol

Chuck Heston, Now There Was an Actor's Actor.....

Hmm heres a thought, Maby we can beat poverty world wide by letting the starving millions eat the homeless, ah yes theres a fragmented Utopia lol
Yeah right, "Tuesday is Soylent Green Day"!
So how do you really think its going to end cranky?
I predict that the Chinese will get tired of us owing them massive amounts money. Money that we continually try to convince them we're paying by printing more and more of our funny money, which is money that's based in imaginary promises of money that will exist someday.

Then they will come over, repossess all the real estate they've invested in, pump another litter of about 2 billion people or so into this country, and we'll all wind up living on sampans in the middle of New York, (or maybe Boston), harbor!

Oh no, sea robins for dinner again dear! :rolleyes:

Yes, thats why I kind of hope I won't be living all that long.
:haha:.

Any who people just need to know its ok to believe that some spiritual rapture isn't inevitably going to destroy the earth, and we aren't such hopeless beings, that given time we will destroy ourselves. Sure the sun can flare up any time and we would all be fried to a crisp, but hey it may not.
Eww, an optimist!!

I think through genetic engineering we will create some sort of super vegetable to feed the world and develop a alternative environmentally friendly fuel within the next 20 years, though I bet people had the same hopes 20 years ago. Really I think we may see something were every humans basic needs such as food, water, health care and shelter will be met withing the next 70 years. Man cant live on bread alone but it will be the first step towards peace on earth.
While we may continue to run technologically, I don't think we will ever reach the point of any sort of Utopia world, or even come close. Conflict will come, the good may prevail, but evil will always live on.

The Once and Future Super Vegetable.........

I think through genetic engineering we will create some sort of super vegetable ...[ ]......
Through the wonders of genetic engineering via inbreeding, the Bush family has already made significant strides toward the true "super vegetable. Not only that, but the American people found it somehow necessary to validate this line of research by electing it president, eight years running.

Even in my young age I can say this without a doubt!!!

There are an infinite number of universes with an infinite number of possibilities. There are an infinite number of universes that are infinitely identical to our own up to a point in which simply by chance all humans united and completely forgot there own past to become a Utopian society forever. There are an infinite number of universes where every human being decided to kill everything around them. There are an infinite number of universes identical to every video game, every story, every book, every tv show, and everything we have ever conceived of in every way. There are an infinite number of universes where treetops is completely correct about what will happen to humanity and an infinite number where captaincranky is completely correct about what will happen to humanity. There are an infinite number of universes where humanity has gone through some kind of apocolypse and yet survived to become infinitely better or infinitely worse. There are an infinite number of universes where we have encountered aleins from other worlds that are far worse then us and in an infinite number of these universes we have ether destroyed, been destroyed by, joined, or ignored this/these races. There are an infinite number of universes where humanity did not form on earth but instead formed on another planet possibly along side silicon based life, in some of these we destroyed the silicon based life, in some we were destroyed by this silicon based life, in others we coexisted with them perfectly, in some we merged and became one race, and yet in others we somehow completely never noticed each other for all eternity. In an infinite number of universes there are gods or god like figures and in an infinite number of these they have had no influence on humanity at all, they simpley ether influenced another race on another planet or did nothing at all. There are an infinite number of universes where captaincranky had/has/will turned/turning/turn into godzilla and walk around doing math problems on a giant egg shaped calculator. There are an infinite number of universes where earth is a sphere that consists largely of titanium and is much larger than our own yet still holds all of the same lifeforms.

We will not know what will happen to humanity until it has happened, however low the probability may be it can still happen. Humanity may exist forever in a similar state to what it is now or it may alter itself with circuitry and/or genetic modifications to become perfect knowledge seeking beings that save or destroy this universe and/or others, or we could become unstoppable killing machines that may save or destroy this universe and/or others. Only time can tell what will happen to this humanity but rest assured that in other universes we will exist forever!!!

I could go on forever but I don't know if I have that much time.

Actually, all banking will be under the Chinese umbrella. Linux will be made impotent. The World Fair Trade Agreement will be the template for the world's economy.The poorer masses will be numbed and hypnotized by mindless party lyrics similar to "Boom Boom Pow" that are supplied by the state's pop heroes, and churning out offspring that will trim trees and serve up Walmart-in-the-Box burgers. Property taxes will become too high for what remaining middle class there is and they, too, will sell their homes at a loss to rich investors and be forced into bankruptcy. The rich will be the property owners and rentals will go sky high that the poorer masses can barely afford.

No no no you have it all wrong!!! You see Nvidia will go crazy and start making robots that use there GPUs then ATI will make robots to compete with Nvidia's robots. All this robot competition will make people confused because no one seems to be in the market for buying robots. Then Nvidia and ATIs true plans will be relieved and all the robots will start a war with each other. This war wont be humans vs robots but instead robots vs robots and after 21 years the robots will become so powerfull that they will blow up the earth on accident, the end! thank you, thank you (imaginary applause).

Or maybe our universe is the warhammer 40k universe and in the future there will only be war!!!

I predict that the Chinese will get tired of us owing them massive amounts money. Money that we continually try to convince them we're paying by printing more and more of our funny money, which is money that's based in imaginary promises of money that will exist someday.

Then they will come over, repossess all the real estate they've invested in, pump another litter of about 2 billion people or so into this country, and we'll all wind up living on sampans in the middle of New York, (or maybe Boston), harbor!

Oh no, sea robins for dinner again dear!

but they will both be state owned and operated by the Chinese government.

China phobia ? There’s plenty to go around.

You have Ronald Reagan (the guy who fired all the ATCs) to thank for that.
He went seeking a huge market, and got more than he bargained for.

Back