I have a legal Windows XP Pro SP2 key but no installation CD. How can I install it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

I've been using Ubuntu (Linux) for five months and now I want to put XP Pro back on my system. I have a legitimate key on a sticker on the tower from when I bought it but the actual CD didn't come with. How can I get a copy of the CD to install?

I've heard you can make an XP LiveCD, could I install it that way? (my parents' computer has the same edition of Windows)

Could I downloads a CD image illegally but use the legal key to install it?

I have an XP Home CD and key, is there really that much of a difference between Home and Pro?

Ask where you bought it

That number is useless.Your dealer has the cd.Start there.
Don't buy those kind.Now you might have to buy XP.
Look for an OEM cd.

You have to know enough about the key and the install set to match the product key to the CD. There are nearly 50 different versions. Not many people have been able to outsmart Microsoft engineers on product verification even when legal. It is a very clever set of algorithm's.
If you know the title of the disk, or the description information and digits on the certificate of authenticity, and sometimes the date of release by whom, where, you can do it. But not when you have to match both... a one if 50 chance at best..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back