TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

i have a question regarding aluminum computer cases.

By BrownPaper ยท 9 replies
Nov 29, 2003
  1. many people on other forums say that aluminum cases keep your computer cooler than steel cases because supposedly aluminum cases act like a giant heatsink? is this even founded or even true?

air would not be as good as a conductor of heat compared to two metals in contact. i mean if an aluminum case were to a better heatsink, it would have to touch the board or something to cool it. if air was better at conducting heat, would not we have a cpu HSF touch the air above the cpu instead of the HSF having direct contact with a thermal compund and CPU?

everything else being equal, is aluminum really that much better than other case materials with cooling?

2. Crazy

Crazy TS Rookie Posts: 139

I dont think that the kind of metal for your case makes allot of differens. Its better to place a small fan to blow the hot air out.
    The impact of an alliminium case in staid of a normal one would be so minimal its hardly worth the extra cost to buy alliminium.

the bord touching the case would be a very bad idea :eek: , metal conducts electricitie! Anyhow its not the bord itself that needs cooling, its the cpu and northbridge.

aluminium conducts indeed better but for a case it would simply be more efficient to place a extra fan or to just make some more hole's in your case.

Greets Crazy,

3. NoisySilence

NoisySilence TS Rookie Posts: 98

Having an aluminum case cools the HDDs a bit more then a normal case but I don't think it's worth the price difference.

But you have to admit that aluminum are much easier to carry around.;)

4. Crazy

Crazy TS Rookie Posts: 139

I dont know about you but do you carry your pc everywhere you go :rolleyes:
    My case(with everything in) is 12.1kg (yes i put it on a scale):grinthumb and the side pannals arn't even on it.

Greets Crazy,

5. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

Thats almost as good as the one about poprocks and soda causing your stomach to explode :haha: :haha: :haha:

6. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 407

yeah aluminum is definitely a lot lighter than steel to carry around(that is the type of case i use to take to my friends house). it is basically safe to say aluminum cases are primarily for being light-weight and for aesthetics compared to regular cases. that is the only benefit i have found from my aluminum case.

haha stormbringer, good one! :D

i was just questioning some things people say about the cooling properties of aluminum cases. and yeah what i said about the aluminum case touching the board was an exaggeration. if the board did touch the case, that would be really bad.

7. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,704

Heatsinks are mainly made out of aluminum. Steel is only used for the support structure usually. I imagine it has some better thermal properties than steel, but certainly not noticeable.

Brushed aluminum does look good though. If I hadn't bought my Thermaltake Xaser2 than I would've gotten an aluminum Lian-Li.

8. novicegamer

novicegamer TS Rookie Posts: 89

I have a Kingwin and lian-li and both are good.But I prefer the kingwin as it has better conectors and 3 windows with extra fans

9. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Aluminium has about three to five times the thermal conductivity of steel, depending on the alloy.

10. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

but when talking about heat transfer of the air inside the case, we are talking about a difference of maybe a few hundredths of a degree C. If that. The material the case is made of is not going to make any notable difference.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.