TechSpot

I have changed my explorer.exe and now it doesn't working

By omeRN
May 30, 2010
  1. I did it because I wanted to install Vienna theme, so I replaced my explorer.exe file with theirs. Also, I backup the original explorer.exe by Copy-Past it to the same directory so it made a file name "exolorer- Copy" in Windows directory. When I restarted the computer nothing appears, and when I try to make a new "explorer- Copy" task it says it doesn't responding for some reason.
    What should I do? thanks.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Download and run explorer 7 or Explorer 8 all over again... which of course will be difficult if Explorer doesn't work... But you can download it with Firefox, then install it with Windows.

3. omeRN

omeRN TS Rookie Topic Starter

dude, it's not the browser. I can't do anything in the computer. It's the start button and all

4. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Guru Posts: 445

this is for XP, if you could get hold of yourself of an ERD CD (Emergency Recovery DIsk) boot from it repair using System File Checker

..or boot at the Recovery Console with your Windows Installer CD. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

at the command prompt type

EXPAND <CD DRIVE:>\I386\EXPLORER.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE

now if you can boot check fol malware infection

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.