TechSpot

I keep getting this error message (bad pool caller)

By excessumcarcer
Feb 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, I am somewhat good at computers, definitely better then alot of people. But this has confused me to the point I have no idea what to do. After trying everything I knew, I contacted Sony, cause thats who made this computer, and after telling them I already did everything that they told me, (I did it before asking them what to do), they said that I need to take it into a shop...which of course is out of the question cause I will fix it. I tried contacting Microsoft, but theres too much crap to go through. Singing up for stuff, contract page things, so I never got through to them. I typed in the exact code I had, and they didn't have it in the archives, and no one on the internet had it.

Originally I thought it was an intense virus/worm or something that got into my computer. I went to the wrong site someone told me about, and I was massivly attacked, but all the programs I have caught everything. And I know how to protect against stuff like that, so I was surprised when things went weird. But, I still thought it was something like that, so I downloaded about 5 other programs, legitimate and not rogue, and they found nothing. IN fact, I ran Spyware doctor, it took 20 minutes to start, and I have a fast computer. Then, Spysweeper froze, and made the system hang. At random times, until recently, my computer would go to 100% resources, which made everything basically freeze. After 30 minutes of waiting, and trying to shut down, trying to use task manager, I just shut it down. So far, after I did a few things, that hasn't been a reoccurring thing. I think it was a program, but im not sure.

So, before that happened, after, and until now, I have had this reoccurring problem that no one can answer, well, the so called pros can't answer it. Which is why Im here, for people help. Here is the code I get.

STOP: 0x000000C2 (oxooooooo7, 0x00000CD4, 0x2060001, 0x87BD3918)

I know its a bad_pool_caller, thats a given. But, I can't figure out whats causing it. I tried all the suggested things, I tried narrowing it down, but I can't figure out why. I reinstalled Windows 4 days ago, cause everything I tried didn't work. (It got really bad after I installed all the updates prior to reinstall, so I thought it might be Microsoft, but, after a fresh install, I was still having the same problems.) I installed all my programs I have been running for a long time, most over a year. I installed all of Sony's Updates, Microsoft's updates, and all the updates to my other programs. I downloaded some other programs that search for certain worms that can survive a format, which I didn't find. In the end, I found nothing virus/spyware/worm/etc related that would create the problems I am having.

The last hardware I installed was 3 months ago, which was a DVD burner, and it runs fine. I have also installed 2x 512mb ram about a year ago, 2 harddrives, a couple PCI cards, Ethernet card, and a new graphics card. Basically the computer I have now is not stock. Its a PCV-RS420 Sony Vaio for reference. Why I add it is because it has a couple weird problems, like it can't run Nero, A video editing program I bought, and some Microsoft updates create big problems, so Sony has updates to counter Microsoft, its annoying to say the least.

Oh, the only times I have seen it shutdown to the STOP screen is when I am doing a Bit scan with Zonealarm, I tried 4 times and each time about 5 hours into it, it shuts down, also when I play Media Player 11, it likes to restart, about 3 times now. Yeah, Im out of ideas and solutions.

Thanks for any help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.