I need a different AV

learninmypc

I've had MSE on my pc for a while now. I installed it around the same time of a past Patch Tuesday so I couldn't tell if it was MSE or the updates slowing my pc down.
I've relunctantly come to the conclusion its MSE slowing this down so I need an AV
that won't slow it down.
I'm not going back to Avast & I will not use AVG so I'm asking for a decent easy to use anti virus program that'll work with Mbam,Spywareblaster,SAS,Spybot S&D,& Comodo Firewall.
I know my pc needs more RAM,but I don't have the $$$. It has 512 mb RAM.
Thanks in advance.(y)

Hi, First yes you do need more RAM!.... that alone will be slowing you down a fair bit.
DDR is the most expensive, but DDR2 has got fairly reasonable this year.
I run MSE on a 6 yr old Dell Pent 4, with 3GB DDR2, and I can't say I have noticed it being slowed by MSE.
(I just ran task manager and just being on Techspot site is using 1.17GB.)
Still you could try,
Avira A/V ,
Comodo A/V free version.
Or this one from PC tools, http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/index/d/2
(* Can you check if you have 2 of your programs scanning at the same time,
that will cause a slow-down.)

Hi, First yes you do need more RAM!.... that alone will be slowing you down a fair bit.
DDR is the most expensive, but DDR2 has got fairly reasonable this year.
I run MSE on a 6 yr old Dell Pent 4, with 3GB DDR2, and I can't say I have noticed it being slowed by MSE.
(I just ran task manager and just being on Techspot site is using 1.17GB.)
Still you could try,
Avira A/V ,
Comodo A/V free version.
Or this one from PC tools, http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/index/d/2
(* Can you check if you have 2 of your programs scanning at the same time,
that will cause a slow-down.)
If I could afford more RAM I would but I can't. I'll give Comodo AV free version a try.
With the exception of MSE, I've never had any auto scanning programs. I only use the free versions & none are set/programmed to auto start/scan that I know of.

Hi, This PC is the only one I've had from a 'name' I.e. Dell, and this is 2nd hand, all others were made up by me from parts at rallies, and I had 512MB + 256MB for about 4 years before this PC, so I really do appreciate what more RAM does.
I'm not sure if you are running XP or Vista, but Vista has the Readyboost 'trick' where you can use a Flash drive as extra RAM.
I guess it must be worth trying out the free A/V's to see if one makes any difference.
There is the other Microsoft antispyware program still available, might be useful,....
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17

Hi, This PC is the only one I've had from a 'name' I.e. Dell, and this is 2nd hand, all others were made up by me from parts at rallies, and I had 512MB + 256MB for about 4 years before this PC, so I really do appreciate what more RAM does.
I'm not sure if you are running XP or Vista, but Vista has the Readyboost 'trick' where you can use a Flash drive as extra RAM.
I guess it must be worth trying out the free A/V's to see if one makes any difference.
There is the other Microsoft antispyware program still available, might be useful,....
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17
I'm on a XP Pro MCE. I've never had more than 512 mb's of RAM on any of the 3 pc's I've had,but I have been on others with more.
I'm able to watch movies,stream my local news & anything else with no hassle. Guess I'm just blessed.:)

Certainly the less you run on a system, the better the performance, but regardless, the single best improvement for performance is all the RAM your system can support (eg XP limits out at 4gb)

Yes I'm fully aware of that but unless I find a $$$ tree, win the lottery (which I don't do) or find someone that gives me the $$$,I can't afford it.
However,I do have some RAM here from another XP Pro tower I no longer have.
I think I asked in here some time ago if it would work,& I think I was still told to visit crucial.com .
I also asked in here a while back if there were any programs on this 2nd hand pc I could get rid of & I provided two screenshots of two program I don't think I've used,but I don't think it went any where.
I've always had 2nd hand computers which I'm blessed with so I accept them as is. They're from a very good trusted friend,too.:)

Ok, I downloaded Comodo to my desktop & removed MSE using revo Advanced mode.
Did a system search for extras & found nothing so I emptied the recycle bin & rebooted. Got Comodo installed & it did its full scan found a few which I had it remove.
So my next question is , I right clicked the taskbar,clicked Properties & in the Task menu & Properties I clicked customize because my notification area ONLY shows my anto virus,NOT my Comodo firewall too. Does it matter?
Also, is there a way to remove excess entries in Customize Notifications? I see numerous SuperantiSpyware entries in the Past Items list not to mention some MSE ?
TIA(y)

However,I do have some RAM here from another XP Pro tower I no longer have.
I think I asked in here some time ago if it would work,& I think I was still told to visit crucial.com .

I'm sure if you post the spec of the spare RAM you have, then someone will be able to tell you whether they are compatible w/ the current system or not.

What do you have in your system now? Here's something you can use to get the info on your RAM.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z/versions-history.html

I'm sure if you post the spec of the spare RAM you have, then someone will be able to tell you whether they are compatible w/ the current system or not.

What do you have in your system now? Here's something you can use to get the info on your RAM.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z/versions-history.html

One stick of RAM shows LMCAI0701826
128MB 133MHz

Another stick shows SD 256M
PC-133
& the 3rd stick 128 mb 16x8
SDR 133 - 4L
34612851 W19381
Its been a long day.
RAM.jpg

As for the other memory working it will not. It is sdram very old. Your pc at this time supports DDR ram. Your best bet is when you can afford to is to get another stick of ddr pc 3200. If not check with someone who may have a stick or two of the DDR ram. That is still in good working order.

Ok & just to clarify (& not related), I'm not normally a Miami Heat fan,the background in those screenshots, but since the Seattle sonics were stolen from Seattle & renamed Oklahoma thunder,I'm very glad Miami beat the thunder. I'm changing the desktop picture later.:)

Back