I need help (antivirus)

By asifkarim
Jul 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. guys.... which anti virus should i use on my new laptop???? need heeeelp
  2. lpmjames

lpmjames Newcomer, in training Posts: 155

i would use microsoft security essentials... another something they seem to have gotten right like windows 7.. also its free i believe.. dont go experimenting.. check around first with how everyone is rating antivirus programs..(cnet, techspot, etc.. ) make your own logical decision... i wouldnt suggest mcafee its overbearing and make my comp lag... and norton stays resident somewhere in your comp. if u ever try to uninstall it.. (from what i hear).... i use norton and microsoft with no conflicts and i love the double security .. also i use comodo firewall which comes highly recomended by tons...
  3. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,108   +21

Do you want to go for paid or free?
  4. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

Starting Point

Those who ask for advice on choosing anti-malware tools, especially newcomers, I always refer them to TS’s recommended free tools mentioned here:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html

Of course, people are still free to ask for other members’ opinions and make up their own mind.
  5. Zilpha

Zilpha TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 349

That's a really good thread. This forum is such a great collection of knowledge.

I personally use Avast free on both my rigs and so far *knock on wood* I have been pretty clear. Of course, there's no substitute for discretionary browsing, as these are reactive rather than proactive tools.

Good luck and safe browsing!
  6. example1013

example1013 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 280

click here to actually get to the topic. Bobcat accidentally added an extra l at the end of the URL, which is why it leads to the main page.
  7. lpmjames

lpmjames Newcomer, in training Posts: 155

i agree.. good thread up there.. gl to ya..
  8. asifkarim

asifkarim Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thank you all
  9. DjKraid

DjKraid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 595   +14

I would recommend Panda Cloud Antivirus or VIPRE :)
  10. subtitles10

subtitles10 Newcomer, in training

Avira antivir, good and free!
  11. basket98

basket98 Newcomer, in training

Norton Internet Security works pretty well to me. It blocks viruses, spyware, Ttojan horses, worms, bots, and others.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.