I need help upgrading my comp please

Status
Not open for further replies.
A year ago I did lots of research and then proceeded to purchase pieces and parts to build my first computer. Now, since the market has changed again, I am clueless on what to spend the least amount of money on to make my computer perform even smoother. I do spend most of time gaming so please keep that in mind when giving suggestions. Everything was basically a plug and play build, I didnt mess much with bios and currently run on a XP platform. What can I do to speed things up, ie, video cards, Should I buy a 2nd video card to run with my current? Add more ram/memory? Im unsure how to overcloak or know if its an option with me current setup as well, if you suggest that, elaborate or tell me where to look for help.
My current build:
~Video card - EVGA 512-P2-N747-LR GeForce 8500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

~Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6420

~Mobo - EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

~Memory - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

~HDrive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I got raidmax tower with plenty of fans and pretty lights ( :haha: ) with 500w power supply. If your upgrades suggestions warrant a bigger supply please let me know. I would hate to fry my new goods. Thanks sooo much for the help, signed noob.

State a budget, your location and your current monitor's maximum resolution. That'd help us make specific suggestions for you. Also, if possible, can you post the exact model number of the PSU inside your case or the model of the case itself if you can't find any on the PSU?

~Tower-RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply
*Is this what you meant my case model?

1280x1024 resolution max I believe. Im at work not at home at the moment so will have to double check that.

budget, hrm well I spent only like $700 orig. so maybe couple hundred at most, at least for now.

Thanks! Is your suggestion to replace existing video card with that new one or run them both?

Also the psu is same 500w that I have, is it really neccesary to trade those out? Is my current one not strong enough to run that new card? Or your suggestion just to be safe?

Glad your around its hard to find sound advice, even if you do , theres always conflicting interests.

i would recommend this graphics card SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY - Radeon Toxic HD 4850 - 512 MB GDDR3 - PCI-Express 2.0. its £130 and overclocked already

No, you can only run the 9800GT alone. You can't SLI different models of cards.

And yes, you need a new PSU. Your current PSU is a rubbish brand that is not recommended for use in a gaming PC.

@Alster37, an HD 4850 would not be necessary for the resolution the OP plans to run and would simply be a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back