I need help with an intel motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I don't know a lot about intel motherboards. I need a cpu that will fit that is at least 2.6ghz. What do you recommend? It has to be an intel. I built a computer for a guy and his sign machine and it is not compatible with an amd chip. Help is needed fast.

you can buy motherboards from other manufacturers than intel that support the intel CPU. Intel has two sockets in mainstream right now.. the socket 478 and socket 775 so that is a determining factor since they are not interchangeable. Also the size of the board, ATX or mATX and the support of DDR or DDR2 RAM will influence your decision. As for supporting 2.6 Ghz or higher, most new boards nowadays can handle that. Just go to www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com and click on the motherboard categories and input your selections into the drop down boxes.

Is this board ABIT GD8 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
compatible with this cpu
Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor - Retail

Ok, now answer me this. I have to change the motherboard and the cpu because of incompatability with a piece of equipment it will be running. Will I have to uninstall the os and then reinstall. The only thing I will be changing is the mobod and cpu. I have an oem xp pro.

yes that motherboard will run the prescott you have...and no you do not need to reinstall Windows XP if the only thing you have changing is CPU and motherboard. Windows will automatically detect the new CPU and motherboard for you.

Do you recommend hypterthreading or not. I disabled it on my other machine but just want to know your thoughts.

Ok, now answer me this. I have to change the motherboard and the cpu because of incompatability with a piece of equipment it will be running. Will I have to uninstall the os and then reinstall. The only thing I will be changing is the mobod and cpu. I have an oem xp pro.

If I am reading your first post correctly current Mobo and CPU are AMD and you are going to replace with an intel mobo and cpu? if the answer is yes then you are going to have to either do a repair install of windows ( not the best option but usually workable) or a reformat and clean install of windows. ( this is the best option for trouble free operation) because there is no way your going to take a hard drive that has a windows installation done on an AMD chipset and have it boot on a intel chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back