TechSpot

I need security for my home wireless network

By A_DOG73
Apr 23, 2006
  1. Hi. I just bought this used wireless router and it came with the installation cd. I have set up the network using a dsl modem. I currently have my desktop hooked up to the router. My laptop is connected to the router wirelessly. When I look in network connections, it says my wireless network is unsecure.

I am able to access shared folders from the desktop on my laptop. That means anyone can access those. I have disabled sharing for now. I want to set up my network so that every computer trying to connect to the network must type a password(including my laptop).

Which program do I have to use? I've heard of WEP and WAP. I don't need anything major, just one that will not let rouge users use my network and access my files. Can I do this with security center in windows XP.

Oh yeah

I'm running Windows XP HOME SP2

The wireless router is D Link(an older one) only 11mb p/s

I know this is a dumb question with an easy answer but I haven't set up a wireless network yet and I searched google but those articles didn't really have the answer.

Anyways, let me know please. Thanks.

2. danswebs

danswebs TS Rookie Posts: 65

the router should have software to set up a WEP key on their, if not download the latest software/drivers from there site,

Dan

3. benken2202001

benken2202001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 155   +16

4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

From here - http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-securit...-networks-1.htm

Top 10 Security Tips for Home Wi-Fi Networks

1.Change your router's access name and password.

2.Don't let users piggyback onto your Wi-Fi net -- turn off peer-to-peer connections.

3.Stop broadcasting your router's network ID.

4.Approve all wireless network users in advance.

5.Turn on wireless data encryption.

6.Periodically check router logs for rogue users.

7.Use a strong firewall.

8.Password-protect your computers and files.

9.Put your wireless network on its own subnet.

10.Turn off wireless cards and routers when not in use.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.