I need to save my files with system restore

Hi everyone I need help in rebooting my desktop computer running windows XP OS, just before the trouble began I had just used control panel to remove several programs.
Then I rebooted the computer, when it came back up; my desktop icons were grayed out and unrecognizable to the computer.
Clicking on them only brought up a message stating that some ink files were not found and were needed.
Then I did a dumb thing, I used a restore disk trying to replace the files, when I should have just used f8 at startup to access my safe mode menu.
Well anyway, now I’m stuck because my desktop only displays a black screen and the courser blinks in the upper left hand corner.
And if I assess safe mode using f8 at startup I get this message “the system is not fully installed please run setup again”.
I have photos and other files that I don’t want to loose, please tell me that there is a way to save my files.

I would remove the hard drive, install it into an enclosure or a docking station and use another PC to read the hard drive and copy your files. BTW, you should always back up your important files to avoid predicaments like this but I guess you know that by now.

Once you recover your files you perform a clean install of Windows, reinstall all your applications and copy your files back to your original hard drive.

You can also look through [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Back