I need to save my files with system restore

By SirArchie
Dec 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone I need help in rebooting my desktop computer running windows XP OS, just before the trouble began I had just used control panel to remove several programs.
    Then I rebooted the computer, when it came back up; my desktop icons were grayed out and unrecognizable to the computer.
    Clicking on them only brought up a message stating that some ink files were not found and were needed.
    Then I did a dumb thing, I used a restore disk trying to replace the files, when I should have just used f8 at startup to access my safe mode menu.
    Well anyway, now I’m stuck because my desktop only displays a black screen and the courser blinks in the upper left hand corner.
    And if I assess safe mode using f8 at startup I get this message “the system is not fully installed please run setup again”.
    I have photos and other files that I don’t want to loose, please tell me that there is a way to save my files.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,388   +205

I would remove the hard drive, install it into an enclosure or a docking station and use another PC to read the hard drive and copy your files. BTW, you should always back up your important files to avoid predicaments like this but I guess you know that by now.

Once you recover your files you perform a clean install of Windows, reinstall all your applications and copy your files back to your original hard drive.
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.