I need two volunteers running Win 7 SP1 64-bit to help debug

LookinAround

I am trying to solve a Firefox problem in thread Interface not registered. OP is running Win 7 64-bit but I have Win 7 32-bit. I want to compare DLL names and public functions but can't use my machine for the compare.

Sooo..... I'm looking for a couple people with 64-bit Windows 7 who could help run some tests and post their output so I can use it.

Thank you! to any who help.

Test 1
The tool DLL Exporter will display all DLLs attached to a running process (along with the "exported functions" and COM objectsthey contain). I want to see what it shows for Firefox after a certain condition is re-created (the problem is somewhere after download and clicking OpenContaingFolder)
  1. Download and unzip the tool DLL Exporter x32
  2. Verify you are running FF v24.0
  3. Start Firefox then download any file and SAVE it.
  4. Now, re-start Firefox in "Firefox Safe Mode". Do this: [FONT=Open Sans]At the top of the Firefox window, click the Help menu[/FONT][FONT=Open Sans] and select [/FONT][FONT=Open Sans]Restart with Add-ons Disabled...[/FONT][FONT=Open Sans]. Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog[/FONT]
  5. Click the download arrow at top right of window, select Show Downloads then select any file and right click Open Containing Folder
  6. Run DLL Exporter (dllexp.exe file)
  7. Under What to Scan click boxes for exported functions and COM libraries (see pic below)
  8. Select Load functions from all DLLs attached to process then scroll to and select firefox.exe and click OK
  9. Watch lower left corner to see when it's done. Click Ctl-A to select all items, then Ctl->S to save
  10. The Save As Type pulldown box appears under Filename box. Be sure you change it to Tab Delimited Text file!

You;ll have to Zip the text file so it;s small enough (< 1MB) to upload to TechSpot.

Thank you much for offering JC! If you can, it would be great! And if you can't, don't worry about it.

Someone else may have the chance to run the test for now. In worst case, I'm getting access to Win 7 64-bit machine in a couple weeks.

I am trying to solve a Firefox problem in thread Interface not registered. OP is running Win 7 64-bit but I have Win 7 32-bit. I want to compare DLL names and public functions but can't use my machine for the compare.

Sooo..... I'm looking for a couple people with 64-bit Windows 7 who could help run some tests and post their output so I can use it.

Thank you! to any who help.

Test 1
The tool DLL Exporter will display all DLLs attached to a running process (along with the "exported functions" and COM objectsthey contain). I want to see what it shows for Firefox after a certain condition is re-created (the problem is somewhere after download and clicking OpenContaingFolder)
  1. Download and unzip the tool DLL Exporter x32
  2. Verify you are running FF v24.0
  3. Start Firefox then download any file and SAVE it.
  4. Now, re-start Firefox in Safe Mode. Click the download arrow at top right of window, select Show Downloads then select any file and right click Open Containing Folder
  5. Run DLL Exporter (dllexp.exe file)
  6. Under What to Scan click boxes for exported functions and COM libraries (see pic below)
  7. Select Load functions from all DLLs attached to process then scroll to and select firefox.exe and click OK
  8. Watch lower left corner to see when it's done. Click Ctl-A to select all items, then Ctl->S to save
  9. The Save As Type pulldown box appears under Filename box. Be sure you change it to Tab Delimited Text file!

You;ll have to Zip the text file so it;s small enough (< 1MB) to upload to TechSpot.
my results attached

Attachments

• dll-exports.zip
    709.1 KB · Views: 2
I can give it a go when I get back to my PC. I'm on my way out the door at the moment.

I'm running Win7Pro(64-bit) and Firefox has already been updated to version 24.

Side Note:
I just noticed when starting Firefox 24, it doesn't start to a new tab without throwing up an error the way it has been. That is setting Firefox to start with home page, and having the home page set to "about:newtab". So frustrating :mad:, now I'll have to figure another way to get the browser to open to a blank page (I hate errors, no matter how insignificant).

Is this running Windows in Safe Mode or are you wanting something different?

Sorry the wording's not clear. Not "Windows Safemode" but rather there's a "Firefox Safemode".
At the top of the Firefox window, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.

jobeard Thanks jobeard! :) You were on at least part of the original thread, so I'm guessing you knew that I meant "Firefox Safemode" when you ran the test?

Hey LA, its been a long while, hope all is well at your end :)

Hopefully this will be useful in some way.

Suggestion:
IF it is possible, 7z extension may be allowed as attachment, since, it would have saved almost 175K on this file alone.

Attachments

• LookingAround2.zip
    741 KB · Views: 1
Let me know if this is not what you wanted, or if there is anything else I can do. :)

On another side note:
Do you know how to set Firefox so that you can select the download location when downloading? For some reason, I wasn't given the option to select a location.

Attachments

• Firefox_DLL-Export.zip
    603.8 KB · Views: 1
Archean It HAS been a long while! Hope all's been good in your part of the world! And thank you for your help

cliffordcooley Thank you as well! In FF Tools-Options look on the General Tab. You should be able to set your download location there

To all else: I think I should be good with these data sets for now

Anytime :)
You should be able to set your download location there
That is not what I'm needing. I need the option to select when downloading, because I always organize where my files go. I don't use the same folder for all my downloads. Don't worry about it though, Firefox is not my default browser. If it gets too annoying, I can start my own thread. I was hoping there was a quick fix, I didn't know about is all.

Then select the other radio button in Options->General under Downloads to "Always ask me where to save files"
I guess I was not expecting it to be such an easy fix. I've never needed to make that change before. Thanks for giving me a much needed slap in the face. lol

Just fyi... Here's something odd I've noticed and a question for cliffordcooley

Notepad++ is a simple and easy to use GUI tool for string matching and extracting lines of text (plus many more helpful functions not found in Windows' Notepad). I searched for winsxs. This is Windows Side-by-Side which are the Visual C++ libraries
  • The OP (Win7 64bit) had 4,786 of hits/lines of text
  • I (with Win7 32bit) also had 4,786 of hits/lines of text
  • Jobeard and Archean (both 64bit) had 4791 and 4884, respectively
  • Cliffordcooley only had 147 hits/lines of text
@cliffordcooleyord I'm just curious about this anomaly. Were you running Winows Safemod AND Firefox Safemode? Obviously, your machine works fine but just wondering why your FF executable show such a difference in the number of public functions in attached DLL's after you right clicked on OpenContainingFolder.

/* EDIT */
Cliff: Could you please give me a snapshot of the Visual C++ libraries in your Programs and Features

Thats strange! After you said safe browsing, I did the test in normal Windows mode. Give me a bit and I will redo the test.

Tip to all: If you're not yet aware of it, check it out! (y) Notepad++ (y)

In addition to all of its powerful built-in text functions, there are 44 plug-ins available on Sourcforge.net to further extend its functionality. And, of course, it's all free! IMHO A very powerful and useful tool I just happened to look into yesterday

Here is my second time through.

I've used Notepad++ in the past. It makes for an excellent free scripting editor.

Attachments

• Firefox_DLL-Export-2.zip
    603.3 KB · Views: 1
cliffordcooley Huh. Same result. I can only guess the difference could be due to the 3rd party apps that I see hooked into the FF process DLL export (like anti-virus, and I've seen DropBox hooks too). You must have a lean, mean set of apps! The rest us use apps that must attach extra DLLs and all those extra public functions!

All I can say is I installed Firefox, so that it is available for use if needed. I never intensionally installed any add-ons for Firefox, so it maybe lean on resources.

If it tells you anything:
  • Running Win7Pro (64-bit) and MSSE for AntiVirus (Realtime protection turned on with weekly settings for scans).
  • I usually only have one to three applications running at any one time (Not including Steam which I may leave running in the background).
  • The notification area has 9 icons.
  • One uptime gadget on desktop
  • CCleaner has 4 items in Windows Startup.
  • CCleaner listing of Firefox Plugins, non of which are enabled:
    • No Plugin Adobe Acrobat 10.1.7.27
    • No Plugin Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.250.17
    • No Plugin Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U25 10.25.2.17
    • No Plugin Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4730.1010
    • No Plugin Microsoft Office 2010 14.0.4761.1000
    • No Plugin Nero Kwik Media Helper 1.1.2.0
    • No Plugin NVIDIA 3D Vision 7.17.13.2723
    • No Plugin NVIDIA 3D VISION 7.17.13.2723
    • No Plugin Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.235
    • No Plugin Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.20513.0
    • No Plugin Windows Activation Technologies 7.1.7600.16395

I reviewed your data (thanks guys) vs. the OP's and something jumped out at me. actxprxy.dll is missing from OP's FF DLL export output tho I find that DLL is listed in the output on my 32-bit and your 64-bit machines where FF is working! I asked OP to search for actxprxy.dll on their machine to find all instances.
> Here were my instructions to OP to search for instance of that DLL
> Here was their reply with a snapshot of instances found

Could anyone be so kind to do the same. Do you also have a copy under C:\Windows\system32? and could you tell the MD5 checksum? ("Hashtabs" is an easy utility for computing file checksums. It will appear as a File Hashes tab under file properties)

Thanks!

I have 8 copies of the file in different windows sub-folders, anyway the two more relevant ones are:

MD5 for SysWoW64:
D2958325C1AE1AE37A83334C6229E3BC

MD5 for System32:
E6F0F82788E8BD0F7A616350EFA0761C

Yoo-Hoo! and Bazinga! (y)

Thanks to all of you! :) I'm happy to report I was able to find and fix the OP's "Interface not Registered" error while using Firefox. I'll pass along some of the things I learned along the way

1. Windows SFC will replace a Windows protected file when it's corrupt but it does NOT re-register the file.
  2. The user's "Interface not registered" error was due to an un-registered .dll. No additional info was logged in Event Log. (However, I have seen Event Log info recorded when the error was due to missing dlls in Visual C++ libraries. So I guess Event Log data only logged for VC++ missing dll's)
  3. Firefox is a 32-bit app. When both x86 and x64 tool versions were offered, I needed to use x86 to get the information I needed. (The x64 versions would show other data and incomplete info for my debug needs)
  4. I found these great tools to help debug this type of problem
  • DLL Export Viewer - It can list all the public functions contained within all the DLL's attached to a process space
  • RegDllView - Lists all registered dll/ocx/exe files on a machine

Back