TechSpot

I/O device error with external hard drive

By Arkitect
Sep 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello so this is the issue.

I have win vista x64,sp2.
    Toshiba satellite
    and a Seagate freeagent goflex 1tb external HD.

I had been using the external for a while. noticed some information wasnt really working properly. I thought I would do a chkdsk.

However, I used Tuneup utilities to perform the thorough chkdsk of my external HD, i figured it would find and fix any bad clusters. WRONG. after 20hrs of waiting. I restarted the PC, and now i cant access any information. The external shows up in "computer" I can open certain folders but after a few mins I cant access anything and i get the I/O device error...

ive tried running chkdsk /r just from the PC in a CMD window. It shows a list of 30-50 files that are "unreadable" and sticks on a certain file at around 6% complete every time.

Ive tried all of seagates suggestions and other then that everyone else just says to run chkdsk on other forums. I really do not want to loose this information at all costs...

any information would be fantastic.

thanks for your help in advance.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,818   +163

The Freeagent's power supply has probably failed
  3. Arkitect

Arkitect TS Rookie Topic Starter

i was worried of this. I am traveling in India at the moment. Do you think this is something I might be able to get fixed from a local computer shop, at least licensed for seagate retail?
  4. ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft TS Rookie Posts: 30

Have you tried using SeaTools to diagnose this further?

by local computer shop, if you mean a reputed computer repair shop known to repair hard drives in particular, then why not. Although, I would just find the nearest Seagate service center to have them look at the external.

Good luck.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.