I re-installed Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze919

After having a ton of problems, I had to re-install Xp(home edition) which I did using the OS disc. Evrything went smoothly except my internet connection is gone. I have 2 computers in my house one with a router which i am using right now.

The other one where i re installed xp cannot log on to the internet when i try it says not internet connection... I don't what to do now the internet works fine obviously but i cannot use it on the computer that I re installed Xp to.

also my old program files are still there even though i didn't back anything up why is that? Also open folders when i move em around seem to be all wavy and stuff instead of moving from let to right they like wave to those directions...

Please help :)

You probably did a repair install of XP, that is why your files are still there... You may have to reinstall the motherboards drivers for video and network, plus all the Microsoft Updates

i go the internet to work i figured it out all i had to do was install the driver from my drivers cd..

1 problem though the folders still move around slow same thing happens when i scroll down or up its goes like all slow motion and stuff...

Example:

For instance when i open "my documents folder" and try to move it to the left instead of going smoothly it just waves to the left slowly.

It sounds like you still need to install the graphics (video) driver.

i go the internet to work i figured it out all i had to do was install the driver from my drivers cd..
Oh, I thought you wanted to clean install

Sometimes hardware faults can be related to Windows corruption, you could try running sfc /scannow

But ideally clean install to confirm that its not hardware related
Are you putting Norton back on?
I prefer Free Avira Antivirus

You need to go to the device manager under the control panel and look for yellow question marks. These are devices you need drivers for. Just hop online and download the appropriate drivers.

ok guys i installed the drivers everything is almost working perfectly lol... One thing stil it says im missing "pci simple controller".. idk what that is.

And idk if this is related or not but when i put my computer on stand by from "start" it doesn't go into stand by the mouse turns into the glass and it just stays like that...

same thing if i try to turn off the computer or restart it it gets to the windows is shutting down screen and just stays like that... i then have to manually turn it off.

What computer make and model is this? (Dell; Hp; Asus; .....?)
Do you have any installed extra PCI cards? Like a 56K Modem, or a serial or some other extra card?
And why didn't you just go for the clean install option then update to SP3? It really would have been lots better
And did you put (horrible) Norton back on?

I really was starting to think my replies were invisible by you or something :D

Thanks for the reply, please also answer the other questions too, ie model of your Dell computer? (is it a mainframe Server worth 300K ? :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back