I screwed up when I "re" installed Windows XP! Can anyone rescued me?

By Spy10021
May 11, 2006
  1. This morning I couldn't get Windows XP to boot and tried at least 20 times (selected "Normal", "safe-mode", "Same as last time" etc). Nothing worked so I got the brilliant idea to reinstall Windows XP.

Installation worked fine, but now all my former document, files, programs etc. are missing! Obviously, I didn't install it correctly (probably should have selected a "repair" or "reinstall" somewhere along the way...)

Is there any way for me to recover everything I had on my C drive (documents, photos, programs, etc) or did my installation write over everything?

Thanks in advance for ANY advice!

2. ultraviolet

ultraviolet TS Rookie

There are many file recovery programmes, do a google search. Get a free trial of a professional one, they won't recover the files but will show what's left on your hard drive.
  3. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy TS Rookie Posts: 252

Hmmm i really do wish installing Windows would inflate folders, but it doesn't so i really doubt you can get your files back.
  4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

you need another drive to install os on do not write to the drive anymore
    you can get back a lot of stuff as long as you don't write anymore to the drive
    I have re-installed os's on same drive and can still get data back from area's not written to
    try file scavenger or O&O recovery
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.