I think my mobo or CPU died?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi listerines,

First post here, need help!

Left the room last night to watch TV. Came back, my desktop was off. Thought it was odd because even during an auto update, it just reboots.

Turned on the computer, immediately noticed everything but the hard drives spooled up and the HD light was stuck on solid. No sound at all coming from the HD's, no activity on the monitor. I have one 80gb HD with the OS (XP home) and another 80gb just for stuff, and they are cabled in series. I've had it that way for years. HD's are about 6 years old.

Opened the case, the motherboard chipset fan was still running as was the CPU fan, and everything appeared ok. Reset button doesn't appear to work but I don't think it has booted far enough to be activated yet, and I have to hold the power switch down for a few seconds to get it to shut back off. All this tells me there is still life somewhere in the system and it wasn't a complete meltdown.

Pulled the CPU, it looked fine - no signs of it being fried or anything (I know it still could be fried). Pulled one of the ram sticks, same result on start - switched with the other ram stick - same result. Pulled the floppy cable and the DVD cable, no change.

Finally, pulled the HD cable from the mobo (leaving power cables to HD's still attached), and that's when I finally can hear the HD's spooling up but the HD light is still stuck on. Still no activity on the monitor.

My gut feeling is something in the HD controller on the mobo has died or maybe the CPU itself, but I also fear that it may just be my hard drives since they are so old. I'd hate to go buy a new mobo/CPU to find it is the HD's, and vice-versa.

Any thoughts?

IF the hd cable is 80 wire 40 pin then disconnect the one on the Black connector (the end one) and connect that to the 'data' hd.

Boot up and see if you get a message about OS not found.

still nothing

No change, and still no activity on the monitor. HD light still stays solid on no matter what combination of HD's are connected/disconnected. With the case off, I can hear a slight spinning of the HD's right at the very beginning when I hit the power button - probably the power on test, but then nothing afterwards.

I think we just eliminated the HD's as the source of the problem?

PSU probably since little else just suddenly shuts down the comp like that.

You could try slaving each drive in another comp to prove their operability.

Then decide if your present comp is worth updating to a new psu and find out EXACTLY what kind of psu you need.

gl

I have another PSU and an old box, I'll try hooking up the HD's in that. This one is a 500w Antec that is only about 2 years old and is probably the newest thing in the box other than the video card.

Check visually all the capacitors on the motherboard if they are not blown out, leaking. I have seen that before. The PC starts and suddenly freezes. Replace the bad capacitors and viola it worked for me ones. Your motherboard is 6 years old as well? Motherboards do die and the first easy sing of dieing are blown capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back