TechSpot

I think My PSU goin dead?!?!

By akaivan
Apr 10, 2006
  1. Hey everyone and thanks for looking, when i got home, I whent on my computer to play bf1942. But when i started to play it started to freaze and my pc started making weird noises, like if the power supply was shutting off and starting back up by itself. Almost like i was restarting my pc but all off my windows apps were allready on.

Furthermore in the middle of my game the sytem crashed to a bsod and said something about my memery(witch i tried 2 different ram). I really think its my psu but i may be wrong. Please look at my sytem specs in my profile. Thankyou. :)

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

I think you answered your own question.

and I LOVE burgers.......

3. akaivan

akaivan TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 470

hmm, i think its the psu too but why would it go into a bsod and say something about the memery? Lol i use to like burgers but now im only chicken. Mcdonalds food got old lol.

4. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

A double quarter pounder large w/ a coke
    MCy D's
    everyday.

I eat hella and I'm not fat, lol haha fat fugs*.

5. g33k

g33k TS Rookie

yup definetely psu

I had that happen b4, and after long time researching and going to computer techs i found out that it was the psu...wierd how it goes into bsod..wat did it say about the memory???

6. akaivan

it said all these weird numbers, i didnt know what it was. If you had the same so it iss probly the psu, Ill buy a new one and ill get back to you guys

7. g33k

g33k TS Rookie

hmmm...

i didnt get those wierd numbers on mine, but i did get some message saying something about the graphicscard...well, it was the psu in the end...hope this helps...

8. akaivan

well what do you guy think of this psu

Im only looking to spend like 20$ lol (im cheap)
    So heres a drill down, what sholud i get HERE

9. g33k

g33k TS Rookie

Looks Good...

Yea, i bot a HiPro PSU (it was also under 20$) and has lasted for over 3 yrs...so as long as u see a good review..especially on newegg..i'd say ur good to go...i would trust Rosewill, HiPro..but dont trust JPac or PowerMax...

10. g33k

g33k TS Rookie

Oh yea!....>>>>

The Logisys psus are pretty good too..i've only owned one, and it lasted a long time..very reliable too...so if ur looking into that one..go for it...seems to have a very high rating.. Looks pretty nice too :) :) :)

11. akaivan

ok ill probably go with it thend

12. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I have deleted your other thread on this subject.

Please don`t open new threads for the same problem. Thanks.

Regards Howard :)

13. akaivan

sorry, i just wasnt sure can i edit old post?

14. akaivan

ok nevermind i got it

15. akaivan

Ok guys im starting to think its not my psu. My 300w had the problem and everything seems unstable , so i tried an old 235 watt psu and i have the same problem, (execpt the sound of it restarting(well atleast not yet lol)) What can this possbly be? And my apps stay on even when i close them??!? It sais so in the task manager. My start menu freazes sometimes so id doesnt move. What can this be> PLeaser HElp

16. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

17. akaivan

hmm my pc is running really weird. Same as the other psu just withought it shuting off. It took like 5 hours just to do Housecall scan. And my mp3 wont play. I here them start then shutoff. I am getting reall :mad: lol

18. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 356

Depending on what was going wrong with your psu it is possible that it may have fried your motherboard a little bit to which is causing the problems you are seeing now.

Also possble that windows may have become a bit unstable when the computer was rebooting and you may need to reinstall now.

19. akaivan

hmm then what should i do now?

20. Jimbo420

I would back up any data that you have and is important and try reinstalling windows. Fresh install never hurt anyone, and if the problem goes a way you are set if it doesn't then you have to start looking at the possiblity that you motherboard may be dying.

21. akaivan

OK ill do that, but im wondering Why you put 420 at the end of your name...........lol

22. Jimbo420

Long story actually problem most of which shouldn't be posted on a family site like this. Just so you know it isn't entirely what you are probably thinking.

23. akaivan

hahahha ok.......

24. akaivan

ok i reinstalled windowsm it seems stable. BUT well see.

25. Jimbo420

Good news. Just keep us posted.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.