de1phoenix

Pc Specs:
Amd Phenom II X4 840
ATI HD 6850
600 Watts PSU
A giant fan on the side of my pc.
A smaller fan on the back of the pc

Alright, so here's the deal:
When gaming (gaming only) my computer automatically turns off after a while.

I believe it's because my videocard overheats since it's the most warm thing in my computer. But it's strange. My computer turns off when the videocard reaches 70-75 degrees Celsius. It isn't that hot, right?

Also, I've installed an extra fan, but it doesn't help anything, not even when putting my fan speeds at 100%.
(Large fan around the 3000Rpm, small fan 1600Rpm)

Then again, I'm not 100% sure it's overheating but it's seems the most logical explanation to me. (Happens with all games, Crysis 2, Skyrim, even CS:S).

I also tried updating my drivers, and putting in an additional fan, but they only extend how long my pc can go without overheating, the problem is still there.

Please help

No, that is not too hot... though I would increase the cooling options, if it were mine... which it seems you have already done. What you report at 70 - 75 C is common, and should not put additional risk of failure. But that much heat is not good over time... and I would add special directed cooling.
However, since it is shutting down, that card may be reaching the end of its useful product life. If still under warranty, contact the maker or the seller for their opinions. It may be that the card is defective. Look to see if your motherboard manufacturer offers any ideas on their website for that model.
It may be that your motherboard itself is the weak link.

Ok, but reaching the end of it's useful product life is impossible. I've bought the pc 3 months ago at most. Anyway, I've had this problem for 3 months as well but the makers of the pc aren't really helping, all they say is "Bring us the pc so we can check" but they live pretty far from where I live, and I need the pc everyday.
Anyway, the motherboard I use (stupid, didn't include it in my opening post) is an ASRock M3N78D.

OK when you start a game your PSU ramps up and starts producing a bunch of amps for the 12volt line. It doesn't normally do this unless you need it, so your computer would operate normally until you started to play a game. I'd replace your power strip just to see if the problem continues. You're PSU may be asking to much of an old power strip when it's producing lots of amps. I had the same problem a little while ago, but my temps were much higher.

Power strip looks something like this! Most of the time your printer, monitor and computer will be plugged into something like that.

powerstrip.jpg

The Power supply also might be suspect. You stated it is "600w" but what brand is it and how many amps are on the 12v rail(s). Some lower quality PSUs don't output anywhere near their rated output under normal conditions. For example I have a Rosewill (newegg house brand, This particular model was built by DEER) "400w" PSU that came free with a case. I had no intention in using it in any of my current systems but I figured I'd throw it in an old AMD K6-2 500 system I had laying around in my basement just to see how bad it was(AMD K6-2 500mhz, 256mb ram, 20GB HDD, 3.5" floppy, CDROM, Trident 9440 VGA card, 10/100 NIC) and this "400w" PSU couldn't even run this circa 1998 config that drew around 150w at full load, every time I tried to access the HDD or ODD the system crashed due to PSU overload and the ripple was so bad the fans kept speeding up and slowing down. Every other PSU I had including the 13 year old 250w FSP that I originally built this system with ran it without any problem.

Okay, I'll check both!
And sorry for asking what a power strip was :p
I checked google, but wasn't sure that you were talking about that.

Lordy!

My 6850 idles at 36 °C and hits about 55°C while playing Crysis. And I've over clocked it to 850MHz Core and 4400MHz Memory.

Depends on the brand, I guess. Mine is sapphire and they do excellent custom coolers.

Okay, I've been kind of busy the last few days, but finally managed to take a look.
Okay, the power strip changing didn't work.
And here's the PSU I'm using:
Silenzio Power
LPK 1635

And here's the PSU I'm using:
Silenzio Power
LPK 1635

Yuck, That PSU is made by Linkworld. They are easily one of the worst PSU manufactures out there and are notorious for overrating their PSUs. There is a very good chance that your PSU is not outputting enough power to run the HD6850 under load and that is likely the cause of your problems. I doubt that "600w" is actually capable of outputting more than 300-400w under real world conditions.

This is a lower spec model than yours but it shows the general quality (or lack there of) of Linkworld PSUs
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=123

Any good 500w PSU should run your system without issue but a 600w-650w won't cost much more and will give you more overhead for future upgrades.

Here would be some of my recommendations:

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W = $70

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W = $75

The SeaSonic is definitely one of the good guys... Also Corsair, and PCPower and Cooling... HBad too many bad Antec EarthWatts to recommend them... And Antec had to pull some back, adjust, then re-issue as reconditioned.

Hello,

I agree your PSU could be an issue. However, before you spend that much money, I suggest re-applying your CPU grease.

If this only happens when gaming, then it is a good bet that this is a heat related issue. Most times when I run into this issue it is either old or poorly applied CPU grease.

CPU thermal paste acts as the conduit between your processor and its heat sink. It is important to have a good quality metal based grease for gaming, not a silicone base.
I recommend arctic silver 5 as a quality product at a good price.

Good Luck!!

The SeaSonic is definitely one of the good guys... Also Corsair, and PCPower and Cooling... HBad too many bad Antec EarthWatts to recommend them... And Antec had to pull some back, adjust, then re-issue as reconditioned.

I'll definitely agree on SeaSonic being great, Corsair too with the exception of the builder series (not that the builder series is all that bad but it isn't as good as the higher end Corsair's and there are better options out there in the same price range). I used to always recommend PCP&C and still do for most of their higher end PSUs (silencer 760 and above, and of course turbo cools) however since OCZ took over PCP&C's lower priced PSUs (Silencer MK III) are basically just rebranded SeaSonics, they are good units but you can usually get the actual SeaSonic branded units at a lower price. As for the Antec EarthWatts I believe they are now all made by Delta (Last I checked the vast majority of antec PSUs in general are now made by either SeaSonic or Delta with the exception of some of the Basiq's made by FSP and the True Power Quattros made by Enhance) and I have never personally had or heard of an excessive number of failures of the current EarthWatts line. The only current Antec PSUs I've heard of many problems with are the TPQ series which have a high rate of DOAs, although I have a TPQ850 in my main system that is nearly 4 years old and have never had any issueswith it. From everything I've heard if your TPQ lasts for 6 month+ chances are you won't have any problems with it since the problems stem from an assembly/QC/shipping damage issue rather than a design issue. Personally I think it is primarily a shipping damage issue since the TPQ uses a somewhat weird separated Primary PCB with half of it on one board and half on another in opposite sides of a clamshell case which makes it much more prone to damage if dropped than a normal PSU design and most of the failed units seem to come from web sellers (newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, etc.) rather than retail stores.

Hello,

I agree your PSU could be an issue. However, before you spend that much money, I suggest re-applying your CPU grease.

If this only happens when gaming, then it is a good bet that this is a heat related issue. Most times when I run into this issue it is either old or poorly applied CPU grease.

CPU thermal paste acts as the conduit between your processor and its heat sink. It is important to have a good quality metal based grease for gaming, not a silicone base.
I recommend arctic silver 5 as a quality product at a good price.

Good Luck!!

I think the PSU the issue.
My CPU only gets around the 40 degrees celsius when gaming.

I think the PSU the issue.
My CPU only gets around the 40 degrees celsius when gaming.

I hope a new PSU solves your issue. But just so you know I have seen low temps on monitoring programs where grease was the issue.

It is super important to have a good PSU for gaming. I hope that fixes it for you.

Also I recommend Ultra brand as they have a lifetime warranty and a gaming specific line.

Good Luck!!

I hope a new PSU solves your issue. But just so you know I have seen low temps on monitoring programs where grease was the issue.

It is super important to have a good PSU for gaming. I hope that fixes it for you.

Also I recommend Ultra brand as they have a lifetime warranty and a gaming specific line.

Good Luck!!

I wouldn't trust an Ultra very much either. Ultras tend to use cheap capacitors that are failure prone and tend to be overated as well. Yes there is a lifetime warrenty which is good since you will likely need it. However the lifetime warrenty may replace the PSU but if a cap fails on the secondary it might fry your motherboard, GPU, HDD or other components costing far more than the price of the PSU.

I'll certainly second that... We have had to replace a few Ultra power supplies since that lifetime warranty came out... The warranty is great until you try to get one replaced, and they want your receipt from an authorized dealer, then charge you shipping both ways.

Corsair power supplies are wonderful though the prices are going up... along with Seasonic, and many others named on posts here at TechSpot. They want you to replace it where you bought it and the reseller doesn't seem to have a clue as to what the rules are... it can easily take a month.

Wow, I had no such issue upon returning one I received DOA. I have had many components be DOA, even from the most reputable brands.

I was able to return the unit at no cost to me and a new one was sent promptly. They sent me a box to place the unit in and I received the new unit in less than a week.

And, I assume as with any product the various 'lines' or models differ in quality.

Doing research for yourself and reading MANY reviews (there is lots of misinformation out there) related to your specific product is highly recommended for any PC component.

However I will add that I personally do not run an ultra PSU as I have never had an issue with my 1000w modular corsair, 3 years thus far. The ultra has been installed in another PC for about 18months no problems.

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I have a 6870 and the same exact problem. Once the graphics card reaches 75 celsius, the computer shuts down. This didn't start happening until recently. Did the OP ever find a solution? I can set the fan speed to a manual 40-45% and it'll stay below, but I think it's odd that 75c, though hot, would be hot enough to make the computer shut down.

It would be helpful to know the configuration, age of components, Unique equipment, if any, etc.

Back