I want my old BIOS back - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there I recently updated my bios on my Toshiba using WINPHLASH.
Just before I did, it made a backup of my old bios as a BIOS.BAK file..
How do I use this to go back to my old BIOS as my fans are not keeping the laptop as cool as they use to be!

Thanks!

Quote from Toshiba for floppy boot up, bios update
1. Insert the new created Flash BIOS Installation Diskette Vx.xx into the unit to be upgraded.
2. Power ON, system will boot automatically from this Flash BIOS Installation Diskette Vx.xx. A message will prompt the user for selecting either: CANCEL [Ctrl-C] or CONTINUE
[press any key] with the BIOS upgrade process.
3. Press a key to continue with the upgrade process.
- The BIOS ROM file will be loaded when a key is pressed
- This step takes about two minutes to complete.
- Once the BIOS ROM file has successfully loaded, the display will black out for few seconds.
4. Remove the Flash BIOS Installation Diskette Vx.xx. System is now rebooting from the hard drive.

For further help:
Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

That's OK if I want to update my BIOS with a new version who have extension
" .ROM " ... but I now have backup file of my old BIOS and his extension is " .BAK " .
I don't know what to do whit this file? How to use it to back to my old BIOS?

rename BAK to ROM

Then restore by floppy bootup

I cannot help on this thread anymore because Bios updates are very very specific to model.

My replies therefore must be very general

OK...Changing the extension is a big risk in this case...I think.
anyway...kimsland thank you a lot for your help !!!

Changing the extension is not a risk, unless the file is opened with some application

If you are concerned about losing the backup ROM file (by the way it's a good guess that ROM is the extension) Then just copy the file, then rename the copied extension

simple - rename the old BIOS file to the new bios name- then reburn the EPROM. ensure the new bios is saved as something else.

Read the updating BIOS guide in the guides forum, courtesy of moi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back