I want to add a wireless router to my network

I would like to add a wireless router to our network. I don't want the router to act as a DCHP, but I do want an IP address within our network assigned to the router.
I change the IP address and subnet mask on the router to one within our network, but once I click apply I can't access the router.
It tells me I need to change the IP address in the address bar, and I do, but I still can't reach the router interface to finish setting it up.
Any ideas?

I would like to add a wireless router to our network. I don't want the router to act as a DCHP, but I do want an IP address within our network assigned to the router.
so you have modem=>router1 ---> systems
and want to have
modem==>router1 ---->router# which has wifi
I change the IP address and subnet mask on the router to one within our network, but once I click apply I can't access the router.
It tells me I need to change the IP address in the address bar, and I do, but I still can't reach the router interface to finish setting it up.
Any ideas?

You should abandon the idea that you NEED to set the IP address on router#2

the final setup will look like
Code:
modem==>router#1 --------> router#2 --- wired or Wifi connections
                |
                +--------------> existing system connections

disconnect #2 from #1, connect a system directly to #2 and use your browser to
config #2; DISABLE DHCP in #2 and setup the WiFi as you please. Save and it will restart.

Now rewire router#1(lan)------(lan)router#2
notice that Router#2 WAN slot is left empty.

All systems will be configured by the DHCP in router#1.

Router#2 will now act as a Switch and in fact will not have an IP address.

Exactly what jobeard said. You want the wireless router to be transparent and relay the information from router 1 onto wireless clients.

Back