I want to make my PC cooler

WARNING! *MY CURRENT COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE LEVEL: BEGINNER DUMB

MY OBJECTIVE:
Build a PC that can support recent games like Monster Hunter World: Iceborne/ RE 3 Remake/ Metal Gear Solid V (WITHOUT overheating my CPU and lagging while playing them every goddamn time). sob..sob :'(

(I accept any form of advice or guides. Please help this poor and dumb peasant to at least know something on how to achieve this without breaking the bank).

MY CURRENT PC SPECS:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz Haswell 22nm Technology - (I want to upgrade this, what would u suggest?)

RAM: 16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28) - (Is this enough or should I upgrade this too? coz playing RE 2 Remake always lag)

MOBOARD: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G1.Sniper B5-CF (SOCKET 0)

GRAPHICS CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte) 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (XFX Pine Group) - (I also want to upgrade this, what would u suggest?)

STORAGE: 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ATA Device (SSD)

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
Key question: how much can you spend??

Look at RECOMMENDED specs on Steam for the games you want to play. For Monster Hunter / Iceborne, these are:
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770 or Core™ i3 8350 or Core™ i3 9350F / AMD Ryzen™ 5 1500X or Ryzen™ 5 3400G
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (VRAM 3GB) or GTX 1650 / AMD Radeon™ RX 480 or RX 570
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 48 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c or later)
  • Additional Notes: - These specs allow for the game to be played in 1080p/30fps with graphics settings at "High". - 64-bit processor and operating system are required. - Windows 10 (Version 1809 or later) and a 4GB VRAM GPU (graphics board or video card) are required for DirectX 12 API.

I would definitely go for full DirectX 12 API support.

If you have a somewhat limited budget, I would suggest improving your current system:
- upgrade GPU to GTX 1660 Super or similar (MSI and eVGA have good warranties)
- add 2nd channel RAM by installing an exact duplicate of your existing single stick (check your motherboard manual for the 'how to') - used from eBay is usually workable if you stick to professional vendors with >99% records
- consider upgrading your existing CPU - it is good enough for many games, but a cheap used upgrade to a higher end chip already supported by your existing motherboard might do the trick - you may need to upgrade BIOS to F6 - see: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/G1Sniper-B5-rev-1x/support#support-cpu

As to cooling:
- make sure all fans work
- clean out the dust
- change thermal paste every couple of years (Arctic Silver - Ceramique is what I use)
- confirm cable management keeps flow inside case clear of obstruction
- add a fan

YouTube has DIY videos on cleaning, reapplying thermal paste, installing upgrades, etc.

Key question: how much can you spend??

Look at RECOMMENDED specs on Steam for the games you want to play. For Monster Hunter / Iceborne, these are:
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770 or Core™ i3 8350 or Core™ i3 9350F / AMD Ryzen™ 5 1500X or Ryzen™ 5 3400G
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (VRAM 3GB) or GTX 1650 / AMD Radeon™ RX 480 or RX 570
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 48 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c or later)
  • Additional Notes: - These specs allow for the game to be played in 1080p/30fps with graphics settings at "High". - 64-bit processor and operating system are required. - Windows 10 (Version 1809 or later) and a 4GB VRAM GPU (graphics board or video card) are required for DirectX 12 API.

I would definitely go for full DirectX 12 API support.

If you have a somewhat limited budget, I would suggest improving your current system:
- upgrade GPU to GTX 1660 Super or similar (MSI and eVGA have good warranties)
- add 2nd channel RAM by installing an exact duplicate of your existing single stick (check your motherboard manual for the 'how to') - used from eBay is usually workable if you stick to professional vendors with >99% records
- consider upgrading your existing CPU - it is good enough for many games, but a cheap used upgrade to a higher end chip already supported by your existing motherboard might do the trick - you may need to upgrade BIOS to F6 - see: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/G1Sniper-B5-rev-1x/support#support-cpu

As to cooling:
- make sure all fans work
- clean out the dust
- change thermal paste every couple of years (Arctic Silver - Ceramique is what I use)
- confirm cable management keeps flow inside case clear of obstruction
- add a fan

YouTube has DIY videos on cleaning, reapplying thermal paste, installing upgrades, etc.

Thank you so much, man! I owe you. To be honest, I am super lazy and kinda dumb at this. I could spend around 1000-1500 dollars max. It has been a while since the last time I upgraded my PC. Again, I really appreciate the advice. :D

Last edited:
Keep in mind getting a newer motherboard and CPU may require newer memory as well. While your 16GB may be enough, it is DDR3 and newer systems run on DDR4.

Keep in mind getting a newer motherboard and CPU may require newer memory as well. While your 16GB may be enough, it is DDR3 and newer systems run on DDR4.

Oh, I didn't even know that. Thanks a lot, man. I will keep that in mind the next time I go for the upgrade.

Back