I want to put more RAM into my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrenbilly

I have an Asus M2V MX Motherboard. It currently only has 512mb of RAM. Could someone please take a look at this web page and tell me if i could buy the 1GB and add it to my 512mb. Basically, is this RAM compatible with my computer? Thanks

By the looks of it you can put just about any DDR2 memory in there, it would be in your interest to buy to identical sticks for each slot and run them in dual channel mode for double the bandwidth.

Could i buy and insert the 1GB i buy and keep the 512 in there until i can afford another 1GB. Then i will be running 2GB, Would it cause any problems running 1.5GB? For a short while

Could i buy and insert the 1GB i buy and keep the 512 in there until i can afford another 1GB. Then i will be running 2GB, Would it cause any problems running 1.5GB? For a short while

If you are using more than 1 stick of ram, it is always better for it to be matching.

You can get a matching set of 2X 1gig for relatively cheap. I would recommend doing that.

Having two different size ram chips doesn't really make much of a difference you just don't get the dual channel advantage, just more ram.

Intel boards are more tolerant of "asymetrical" RAM quantities than most boards. Asus boards have a reputation of being picky about the RAM it chooses to boot with.

Dual channel RAM with different size sticks is doable in some cases. It's called "dual channel interleaved mode". What happens is this, with 1.5GB installed, the lower 512MB from each channel will run as dual channel. Then the upper 512 (1GB stick) will run as single channel.

Will it work for you? I have no idea. You would probably spend more money buying 1GB sticks on 2 occasions than just jumping in and buying a 2GB dual channel kit from the jump. DDR2 is way cheap now.

So, I recommend buying a 2GB kit of Asus certified RAM from the git go, it would make your life simpler, much simpler. Asus should have a listing on their website as to which RAM is compatible with which board, I suggest you visit them before doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back