I want to use a Netgear DG834G at an ethernet switch

Hi All,

This is driving me crazy at the minute, so I thought I would throw it out to the experts to try and get my sanity back! Here goes...

I have Sky BB (dlink router) and I have been successfully using 4 comtrend homeplugs to share my connection to a spiderbox, sky HD box and HP officejet network printer. I recently had my electricity supplier changing a meter and after he went I found that 2 of the homeplugs had fried - I know they're temperamental so I took it on the chin.

Anyway I have now decided to go a different route and I purchased a Vonets wifi bridge, which works well. My question is this - I have an old Netgear DG834G router and I would like to use this as a network switch so that I can plug my bridge into one of the ethernet ports and draw off from 2 of the other 3 ports to feed my printer and Sky HD box.

I plugged the vonets into port 1 and then a cable to both my printer and my sky box and nothing - then I went into my netgears homepage and disabled DHCP, and hey presto I got a connection on my sky box. I assumed that was that until I tried to print and the printer was not available. I have tried loads of things since - static IP on the printer (I usually have it static anyway as my work laptop doesn't like it otherwise), manually configuring the network on my sky box, changing some of the settings in my netgear router but I cannot get it working. I tried changing the IP adresses on both my printer and sky box to the same as the vonets, but not sure if this just made it more confusing.

I am sure that it shouldn't be as difficult as this to set up - can anybody help me?? Incidentally, I have always plugged the vonets into port 1 on my netgear.

Thanks in advance

blueboy510

Back