I wish to use free OS but I'm scared of..

Status
Not open for further replies.

casper11

hi there i need help

All my friends are using Microsoft OS but I wish to try something like linux OS and I don't wanna waste my hardisc space to do a dualboot on my computer and yet I'm scare that after i've using linux OS ,my computer is unable to read or share file with them..:(

pls tell me what i should do now...

Run live Ubuntu from CD
It's free, takes up no disk space (actually you can even unplug your Harddrive !)

Once you feel comfortable with it
Install it (or not, your choice)

Linux makes it easy

what about the reading and sharing files amount my friend??

it will be a major problem if i can't do my homework and something like powerpoint presentation..
u know as a student.. we do a lot of homework together and discussion.... ??!!

What?

Anyway, Ubuntu can save any data to USB drive or anywhere

Really the LiveCD is the best first choice ;)

erm... that is not my point..
what i mean is , for example, if A is using Microsoft word to do an assignment and I need to recheck for A. how?? am I able to read and edit?? and what if I'm A and he need to edit my assignment. will he able to read my file and edit it??

Running Ubuntu Live will not change anything on your HDD. The OS will just boot temporarily from the CD and allow you to try it out. After that, if you restart the PC and remove the CD, you'll be able to boot into Windows normally.

Yes you can edit or whatever
You can mount the Hardrive or plug in a USB flash drive and edit from there
You can use the Internet, and fileshare all day long
All whilst using Ubuntu LiveCD only (A fully operational Operating System, and world respected)

So far, your first question is fully answered
But the best option is for you to try it and see for yourself
Some (millions of users) like Linux more than MS, and use Linux for absolutely everything
Some (millions again) like MS only
It all comes down to choice (be that financial\security\ or compatibility; note: there are hundreds of Advantages and Disadvantages)

They all started by trying it first ;)

so you are sure about JUST using ubuntu live CD ONLY( without other OS running) i can still share, transfer, edit and read file(s) from and through Microsoft office, i guess just use ubuntu.

now, pls tell me more about ubuntu or maybe other OS that will suit me.

I'm a collage student who need to get along with other students( Microsoft XP/ vista/ 98 user). I'm not really a PC game person but I do sometime. I'd be happy that I've a very fast computer too.

so you are sure about JUST using ubuntu live CD ONLY( without other OS running) i can still share, transfer, edit and read file(s)
Absolutely :grinthumb

from and through Microsoft office, i guess just use ubuntu.
Microsoft office :confused: No that's Microsoft !
Ubuntu is free and uses free programs like OpenOffice

now, pls tell me more about ubuntu or maybe other OS that will suit me.
Too much to say
Here's lots of info from their actual home site: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition

I'm a collage student who need to get along with other students( Microsoft XP/ vista/ 98 user). I'm not really a PC game person but I do sometime. I'd be happy that I've a very fast computer too.
Well if you need compatibility with others, try Windows and Office
Ubuntu is a totally unrelated Operating System

Well if you need compatibility with others, try Windows and Office
Ubuntu is a totally unrelated Operating System

i'm using window XP with Microsoft office 2007 at the moment. When you mentioned about windows i guess you are referring to Windows as OS or not??

Yes

But I'm starting to think that you may stay with Windows after all this ;) (just a hunch)
Really Ubuntu is free, and does not hurt your computer to try it
I have about 50 Linux CDs with me (mainly due to revision updates)
I can boot from my (free) Ubuntu right now, with no issue whatsoever
I feel everyone should keep a Ubuntu Live CD handy, just in case Windows faults, and you need to get on the Internet straight away

Anyway, this thread is fully covered I feel ;)

Stick with Windows if you're a student and use the computer for important assignments etc. Some documents created in MS Office may not be completely compatible with OpenOffice and vice-versa. Also, you need to pay for official Ubuntu technical support, unlike Microsoft's products.

If you purchase Windows
You can get non stop free support from going to Microsoft servers (ie Updates Phone\Email online support etc etc)

But if you use the free Ubuntu, you do not get free support (actually you do from the forums - just not official support ;) )

If you purchase Windows
You can get non stop free support from going to Microsoft servers (ie Updates Phone\Email online support etc etc)

But if you use the free Ubuntu, you do not get free support (actually you do from the forums - just not official support ;) )

this is one of the good thing and one of the bad thing too!! because I need to check on the update and save it and install it.. now my Xp has used about 16GB...

I'm not sure what you're saying :confused:

Ubuntu is just under 700Meg to download (ie the size of a CD ;) )

You can use CCleaner to remove unnecessary temp files in Windows (I use it everyday)

yes.. I agreed. ccleaner is a good stuff..
i use it everyday too..
I'm sorry that the 16 GB has included all the installed softwares too..
things like adobe flash player 10 active X, adobe flash player 10 plugin adobe reader, avira antivir personal,cleaner,safari,java(TM) 6update 11, intel graphic media accelerator driver,K-lite mega codec 4.1.4,microsoft compression client pack 1.0 for window XP, microsoft Office Enterprise 2007( plus all the security updates), malwarebytes's anti-malware, microsoft user-mode driver framerwork feature pack 1.0( i don't know what is that), mozilla firefox, realtek high definition audio driver,realtek GbE & FE Enthernet PCI NIC driver, bluetooth software, windows Genuine advantage validation tool, SUPERantispyware free edition, windows internet EXplorer 7 ( plus software updates and security updates), windows live Essentials, windows live sign-in assistant, windows live upload tool, windows media format 11 runtime, windows media player11, windows xp-software updates, windows XP service pack 3, and ( finally) Zonealarm

With regard to choices of linux distro's Ubuntu is a good jumping off point,many use the live CD but I recommend Wubi 8.10.This will install the os as a loop on your hdd with complete functionality but can be removed from your system via your ADD/REMOVE software in control panel.

do you know where I can download?? and how to download it?

I believe that u know that " I'm a collage student who need to get along with other students( Microsoft XP/ vista/ 98 user). I'm not really a PC game person but I do sometime. I'd be happy that I've a very fast computer too."

and "beside I'm using laptop with intel CPU, T2080@1.73GHz, 1.99GB of RAM"

wubi8.10 can be downloaded from the wubi site ,in regards to file sharing with windows users Linux uses a program called Samba. Video tutorials on it's use can be found on YouTube,just make your search "ubuntu file sharing with windows users". this should help you out a great deal.Samba is compatable with all Linux distros.Should you want a more user freindly and more intuitive os go LinpusLinux they provide iso downloads of linpuslite (ie. the Acer One) as well as linpus9.5 and 9.6.Unfortunately Wubi is a Ubuntu only utility but you can run linpus and others using VirtualBox.

Honestly, I don't think you should run Linux in any form. I can tell by your tone you are hyperconcerned about any compatibility issues. That is a deal breaker right there.

Sure people will tell you you can work with Windows users, and you can open and colaborate with them freely, and to some extent that is true, but it is never 100% fluid. You will always run into some little issues, and mostly they have workarounds. But from the tone of your posts I get the impression you are extremely anal about not having to do any of that, and that simply isn't going to happen at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back