I7-4770 vs. i7-4771 vs. i7-4770K - Which has missing instruction set vs. the other 2?

Savage1701

I've got my build together to use a Socket 1150. I have read that one of these CPU's does not have the full/latest instruction set vs. the others. Overclocking is not important to me but I will buy the "K" series if it has the fullest instruction set.

Can anyone enlighten me further on this?

Thanks.

That's it - the links you posted helped.

The 4770K is missing some virtualization and TSX and VPRO instruction sets.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for but got a little lost on the Intel website.

Why is it you think you need these Advanced Technologies?
  • Intel® vPro Technology
  • Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
  • Intel® TSX-NI
  • Trusted Execution Technology
If you didn't know how to check which ones had them, chances are you would never need them. And the fact that the 4770K does not have them, only shows they are not that important anyway. I personally wouldn't select a CPU, based on the absence of a these technologies.

Why wouldn't I want them when the price is almost identical? The last thing I want to do is pony up the same amount of money for a processor with fewer features than its sibling. Perhaps I will want to sell it on my next upgrade cycle.

Do you make a habit of trolling threads to add unhelpful condescension in order to boost your post count? Is this making up for some other inadequacy in your life?

Why wouldn't I want them when the price is almost identical?
Maybe because you will never use them. I'm trying to understand why. As for trolling, that is my business. Good day sir, buy whatever the **** you want, I honestly don't care after that comment.

Actually... you may want to research these "missing" features a bit before making a decision. On the consumer end the K model is the one you will want more and on the enterprise end the non-K models are more desirable. At work I prefer the non-K models because when configured properly you can do things like use VNC Pro to remote control the machines before the OS even boots. I can see and capture bios settings and even have control over power settings without the need of traditional wol tools. At home I only buy the K models because they are unlocked and allow for easy overclocking.

Actually... you may want to research these "missing" features a bit before making a decision. On the consumer end the K model is the one you will want more and on the enterprise end the non-K models are more desirable. At work I prefer the non-K models because when configured properly you can do things like use VNC Pro to remote control the machines before the OS even boots. I can see and capture bios settings and even have control over power settings without the need of traditional wol tools. At home I only buy the K models because they are unlocked and allow for easy overclocking.

Actually, I don't overclock ever. Since my systems are used for work, they are liquid cooled and stock or slightly under-clocked to minimize any chance of overheating the CPU. Remote access/control down to the BIOS level is more important to me and I have a couple of Supermicro boards on other systems that allow me to do that with them via their dedicated IPMI. So in that regard, a non-K processor is what I want vs. the standard assumption that all "home" users are overclockers.

Also Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) is rather nice to have if you plan to use any VM-s for production purposes.

When is the tech world going to realize that intel's ARK website is bunk; they continually 'falsify', even though they should know better.

Yes it is hell getting detailed specs on a processor model, the stepping, etc. But even then they publish "Errata" and don't update the ARK tables that everyone uses.

Compare:
http://ark.intel.com/products/75125/Intel-Core-i7-4770T-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
to
https://web.archive.org/web/2015020...re-i7-4770T-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

This happens all the time it appears!

I just spent a week spec'ing a couple dev servers then found out the Xeon-D ARK info was bunk.
Googling 'xeon-d-1500-specification-update' (searching via intel site found nothing;I had to use google to confirm info on intel's own site!!) says Xeon-D Intel® TSX Instructions Not Available.
ARK is bull and it's kinda shocking how deceitful a company we are supposed to trust goes to great lengths to bury the real facts/details.

My co-worker thinks they get away with obscuring all the strange errata with the profit that entails so that the NSA keeps a steady supply of 0days in their toolbox. HAHA

Actually, TSX is not even working in Haswells. It's there but buggy, so it's factory disabled and it can't be fixed via CPU microcode updates. So basing your purchasing decision on that is not the sensible thing to do.

CPU-Z doesn't even report it, but it seems to be fixed and detected properly on the Skylakes.

Back