IBM makes huge stride toward developing scalable quantum computer

By Rick
Feb 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. At the American Physical Society in Boston, IBM will be announcing further progress in creating a practical, working quantum processor. Big Blue said it has managed to increase the longevity…

Read the whole story
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

The First Time I completed Mass Effect I new that's how our world will develop, I bet IBM will find some Prothen Technology which will jump them hundred's of years into researching and get this kind of processing power working in the next 10 years.

Just sayin...

3. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 279

Very, very cool.
  4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,248   +220

IBM the new Intel of future? Back to the top once again? Em I just talking poop?
  5. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

Now I want Quantum Neuronets so I can make my own Data!
  6. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 475   +153

IBM has never lost that branch of research and development. Their projects are quite huge and interesting for they'll never target directly consumers like Intel does. Intel is fine and eventually they'll have to think something ahead shrinking transistors, so quantum processors or analog processors are kind of a more viable future roadmap for both AMD and Intel.
  7. Would it be able to run notepad smoothly?
  8. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +164

How would Crysis run?
  9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 4,573   +65

Simple. It would both run perfectly and not run at all, simultaneously.
  10. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 632   +163

Every time you shoot an enemy the game splits the screen into all the possible outcomes including one where the enemy materializes next to you and bites your head off and then you die.. for real.

In other news, I am excited about new developments like this. For too long now we've only seen tiny improvements here and there coupled by major price hikes for small improvements.

The industry needs a "game changer" like this!
  11. Kraemepoo

Kraemepoo TS Enthusiast Posts: 28

Exciting to see Skynet is finally getting off the ground!
  12. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

The singularity is only 15 years away? Snap...
  13. KristoZ

KristoZ TS Rookie

well said! :p
  14. With a normal cpu and to much overclock you get overheat, what would happen with to much overclock on this?, maybe it could lead to a time space paradox where your cpu transform into a bunny and you have to pursue it and turn it off, or the black hole than destroy the earh. Very exiting lol
  15. *starts watching Tron*
  16. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Enthusiast Posts: 86   +12

But can it run Crysis?
  17. D-wave and Canada already won the QC race. First commercial quantum computer. IBM is behind by a long shot.

You can own one too