TechSpot

IBM publishes annual predictions spanning the next five years in tech

By Shawn Knight
Dec 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. IBM has published their annual "5 in 5" which consists of five predictions about how technology innovations will change the way we live, work and play over the course of the next five years. The world's largest industrial research organization...

Read more

2. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Booster Posts: 422   +38

Within five years god only knows how good the Computers will become unless we all die in the 21st but not to the case were looking every year at a 20% increase in speed and efficiency at some point by 5 years we mite actualy come to a mainstream six core or 8 core intel cpu which im hella waiting for them to go mainstream but gaming is still getting used to quad core cpus so I doubt theyll be comming soon but I can wait ;D and lastly save money thats always

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,930   +569

They better create something to at least start improving on the human nature.

So far the technology has been acting only against it, like retardation through social networks, or growing fat at your PC desk. Introduction of virtual reality, like Google glasses is only to make people even dumber and lazier. They call it a convenience, but there is nothing convenient in degrading basic human functions, social or physical.

4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

5. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

Umm..you might wanna check up on technology a little more often. 6 and 8 core CPUs are already mainstream. High-end tablets will probably have chips like these next year.

Also, never say "hella" outside the bay area. Actually, not even there. It makes you sound retarded.

6. Don't expect too much.

current "technology" is just another spin on rubbish we've had since the dawn of man.

you might get a change of form factor but nothing exciting.

nothing really new has been created or developed post the moon landing so ummm BIG YAWN.

7. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Booster Posts: 422   +38

u probably missed the point im no amd fan in cpus so I dont really count those and I dont have money for a thousand Bucks cpu so if ur maybe rich bro thats ur happyness but I dont have money to waste + I dont really count Mobiles or tablets in my gaming as my main role gaming is on the pc is and will always stick there

8. Gamesinner

Gamesinner TS Rookie Posts: 80

We were supposed to have flying cars by now. I'm not impressed.

9. It sounds like we are building our replacements.

10. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Enthusiast Posts: 198   +18

If computers learn to understand baby talk . . . won't fewer babies actually learn English? The touch abilities sound far beyond 5 yrs from now. That would make actual VR (holo-deck) pretty obtainable. The smell and taste ideas sound like a very small difference from what we have now.

11. Eratica

Eratica TS Rookie

It sounds like we are building our replacements.

You're not wrong. Wouldn't it be great if tech companies focused on what society needed, really NEEDED, long term rather than just creating the next level of technology just because they can, creating the demand by sophisticated marketing and chasing profits. When machines are better at doing everything we do than we are, and this has got to be the ultimate consequence of exponential development, what then? Forget asking 'would I want to live in this world?', you may not have the choice.

12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,119   +1,523

Nice, now how exactly did all those previous prediction pan out?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.