ICANN rejects request by Ukraine to kick Russia off the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a nutshell: Ukraine wants Russia's internet access revoked, but doing so is difficult due to the web’s decentralized nature and could destabilize its core foundations. The Ukrainian government’s plea to ICANN for revocation of Russian domains has thus been rejected.

On Wednesday, March 2nd, Göran Marby, President of ICANN, replied to the government of Ukraine that it did not have the authority to grant its request to disconnect Russia from the internet. This is a rare instance of an organization acting in Russia’s favor, more so at a time when many others are taking drastic measures to pressurize the Russian economy and force the country’s armed forces into an immediate ceasefire.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, abbreviated as ICANN, is an American non-profit organization responsible for coordinating the maintenance and operational procedures of the internet’s Domain Name System (DNS), introduction of new Top-Level Domains (TLD), and the operation of root name servers. It officially came into existence on September 1998, and is currently headquartered in Los Angeles, California.

Ukrainian Vice Prime Minister, Mykhailo Fedorov, has urged ICANN to revoke Russian domains, including .ru, .рф, and .su domains. Requests were also made to “contribute to the revoking for SSL certificates” of those domains and take down Russia’s root DNS servers, helping disrupt internet access across the Russian Federation, which invaded Ukraine on February 24, 2022. Demanding stringent measures to prevent Russia from publicizing justifications for its act of aggression, Fedorov requested ICANN saying, “All of these measures will help users seek for reliable information in alternative domain zones, preventing propaganda and disinformation.”

ICANN, however, has denied the Ukrainian minister’s appeal, stating that the organization's mission is to be neutral and apolitical. It cited the decentralized nature of the Internet as preventing any such arbitrary action.

“Our mission does not extend to taking punitive actions, issuing sanctions, or restricting access against segments of the internet - regardless of the provocations […] ICANN applies its policies consistently and in alignment with documented processes. To make unilateral changes would erode trust in the multi-stakeholder model and the policies designed to sustain global Internet interoperability,” replied Marby in a letter to Fedorov.

“We have no sanction-levying authority,” he added. “Essentially, ICANN has been built to ensure that the Internet works, not for its coordination role to be used to stop it from working.”

In response to the request to revoke top-level domains, Marby further said that “globally agreed policies do not provide for ICANN to take unilateral action to disconnect these domains as you request. You can understand why such a system cannot operate based on requests from one territory or country concerning internal operations within another territory or country. Such a change in the process would have devastating and permanent effects on the trust and utility of this global system.”

As for revocation of SSL certificates, he noted that ICANN does “not have the ability to revoke the specific SSL certificates for the domains you mentioned. These certificates are produced by third-party operators, and ICANN is not involved in their issuance.”

Marby said that independent operators are in charge of maintaining Russian DNS root servers and hence ICANN is unable to shut them down. Moreover, the organization’s policies are designed to ensure independent operation.

Expert opinion is that granting Ukraine’s requests would have little effect on Russian military operations as the military uses its own networking and communication infrastructure that is disparate from the everyday internet we civilians are familiar with. It would, however, help the Russian authorities to silence any internal civilian opposition to the invasion that is starting to emerge across the largest country in the world.

As of writing, Fedorov has not responded to ICANN’s refusal to the request. The Ukrainian government, meanwhile, has been requesting tech giants to pressure Russia in any way possible. Apple has stopped selling its physical goods through online channels in Russia. They have also barred Russian apps from the rest of the global market. Microsoft has halted sales of new products and services in Russia. Similarly, Google has paused all ads in Russia across all products. EA announced that it will remove the Russian national team and all Russian clubs from popular video games FIFA 22 and NHL 22. In a tit-for-tat move, Russian authorities have reportedly blocked Twitter, Facebook and various Western news sites.

Whether any of this leads to peace for the Ukrainian people remains to be seen.

Image credit: Wikimedia Commons

Permalink to story.

Zelensky is a selfish little prick with a big mouth
---------------------------------------------------------------
CBS news today:

"Ukraine insists, if NATO enforced a no-fly zone over Ukraine. It decided against that on Friday, lest it risk a direct altercation with Russia, CBS News' Chris Livesay reports.

Ukrainian President Zelensky said blood was on their hands. "From this day, all the people who die will die because of you," he said.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong answer !

Nobody is going to start WW3 for you
This is YOUR fault, and all the people who die will die because of "YOU"

Russia is taking Ukraine, PERIOD
Give it to them and live, or die (Your choice)

These are the facts
What YOU want is to destroy the entire planet because your not getting your way

Too bad
Mop up those tears and be a real man

Stop living in your selfish make believe world and do the smart thing

Let your friends, family and neighbors LIVE!

CBS news today:

"Ukraine insists, if NATO enforced a no-fly zone over Ukraine. It decided against that on Friday, lest it risk a direct altercation with Russia, CBS News' Chris Livesay reports.

Ukrainian President Zelensky said blood was on their hands. "From this day, all the people who die will die because of you," he said.
Wrong answer !

These are the facts

Too bad

The actual f are you even talking about? How is Russia INVADING Ukraine Zelensky's fault? DO you actually believe this or are you getting paid to spread this nonsense?

The Russians' goal is to "denazify" Ukraine. How does that work though? Who asked them to do that? What gives them the right? Do they even know what "nazi" means? Do YOU? I'll give you a hint: member of the NSDAP. How many NSDAP members does Ukraine have though? 80 years after the WW2, with a Jewish president, too? How nonsensical is that?

Hundreds of civilians dead, thousands of troops too, hundreds of thousands of homes completely DESTROYED by the Russian invaders shelling Ukrainian cities as we speak, and you still pop up here and claim that it's Ukraine's fault.

How can you look in the mirror, seriously?

CBS news today:

Wrong answer !

These are the facts

Too bad

Congrats! You are officially on the list of worst human beings!

Very sad that ICANN has detached itself from the real world .... Perhaps we need a new international organization that understands suffering and cruelty .....

The actual f are you even talking about? How is ? DO you actually believe this or are you getting paid to spread this nonsense?
What the actual f are you even talking about?
Nobody said Russia INVADING Ukraine is Zelensky's fault

Zelensky is to blame for any further Ukrainians DYING!

Russia is taking Ukraine regardless of what prettyboi does next

Are you getting paid to spread this nonsense?

Very sad that ICANN has detached itself from the real world .... Perhaps we need a new international organization that understands suffering and cruelty .....
Yeah... I initially had the same feelings... But, in a way, Russians need to have access to the world and see their leader for who he is. Who knows, they might grow a conscience or some balls. Look at North Korea, being cut from the world only reinforced their leader's view.

I agree with the ICANN dude. They are there to ensure the whole thing works. If every country at war would request the enemy to be "disconnected" then where do you trace the line?

Also, since military usually have their own networks, having Russia removed from the internet would only hit civilians. Besides, if any russian is really interested is the news, they can always look at international news, unless of course Russian gov. has already banned all "western" publications.

Talk about spreading nonsense. You do realize (I know you don't) that the Ukrainians started fighting back from the very onset of the Russian invasion. Way before Zelensky started his broadcasts. And do you honestly believe that they would not have fought back if Zelensky even left the country?

The only way I see to absorb your ridiculous comments are to just pretend you are drunk.

Or the Russians could just stop the murder campaign...

Victim blaming. That's your choice for best course of action?

Piss on Russia and any Russian who doesn't resist their egomaniacal leadership.

Talk about spreading nonsense. You do realize (I know you don't) that the Ukrainians started fighting back from the very onset of the Russian invasion. Way before Zelensky started his broadcasts. And do you honestly believe that they would not have fought back if Zelensky even left the country?

The only way I see to absorb your ridiculous comments are to just pretend you are drunk.

Of course they will fight back! It is everyone's duty to defend their own country, unless you feel your are not defending your country, but a government that despises you.

The thing is that Zelensky, being basically a puppet of the USA to push and provoke Russia, did not even know how to avoid letting himself be manipulated by them (even then he asked to lower the rhetoric) and now seeing himself in the fire and abandoned (fulfilled its purpose), he wants to save face and shame, even at the cost of the actual destruction of his country, and who knows if more. And the media is now in charge of making it up and presenting it as the 8th wonder of the world.
He should have thought and acted then in the interest of his country and avoid what could happen (including not fearing the local neo-facist forces), and not in the interest of another who is 10 thousand kilometers away, and meet directly with Putin (not the interest of the USA), talk and reach agreements, and the existing ones comply with them. now he wants to drag them into what he and everyone should have avoided in the first place

Of course they will fight back! It is everyone's duty to defend their own country, unless you feel your are not defending your country, but a government that despises you.

The thing is that Zelensky, being basically a puppet of the USA to push and provoke Russia, did not even know how to avoid letting himself be manipulated by them (even then he asked to lower the rhetoric) and now seeing himself in the fire and abandoned (fulfilled its purpose), he wants to save face and shame, even at the cost of the actual destruction of his country, and who knows if more. And the media is now in charge of making it up and presenting it as the 8th wonder of the world.
He should have thought and acted then in the interest of his country and avoid what could happen (including not fearing the local neo-facist forces), and not in the interest of another who is 10 thousand kilometers away, and meet directly with Putin (not the interest of the USA), talk and reach agreements, and the existing ones comply with them. now he wants to drag them into what he and everyone should have avoided in the first place

LOL!!! REgurgitating the neo-fascist fairy tale, are we? And I LOVE the "meet directly with Putin" bit - so he can be immediately murdered, which you'd love to see. Could you be any more obvious, russbot? Crawl back under Daddy Vlad's skirt, we don't need you here.

Zelensky is a US puppet. Nazis are funded by the Zelensky government (and by extension the US) and they have been waging war against Russian separatists and killing them for years. There’s dozens of documentaries on YouTube about these Nazi groups in the Ukraine, some of them are huge by producers like Vice. Do your research. The Ukraine has locked up anyone who pushes Russian separatist views so claiming they are a democracy is laughable.

And I’m not defending Putin, I’m defending the truth. The media is determined to make the Ukraine - one of the most corrupt and disgusting cesspits on earth (I’ve been there a few times) look like an innocent victim. There are so many people in the west who would profit from war with Russia but the average citizen would just see prices go up and be put at risk of attack.

Oh and I have deep pity for anyone who has donated money, as if any of that will make it to a single refugee, this is the Ukraine, criminals outnumber civilians. What you should do is either fly to the Ukraine and join their Nazis fighting Putin or shut up and move on with your life. The vast majority of us don’t want WW3.

Of course I'm a jerk

Being right always makes you the jerk

But, I'd rather be right and a jerk than jump to an emotional response to everything and get everyone around me killed like Zelensky is doing

Don't get so emotional
Use your head instead of your misplaced ego, and you can be a jerk as well
DUDE, think for a second!! What you are saying is that Ukraine should just welcome Russia without a fight!? You think Putin would stop at Ukraine only if it was that easy taking a country?!?! Then it's Latvia, Lithuania, Poland... Catch my drift?

LOL!!! REgurgitating the neo-fascist fairy tale, are we? And I LOVE the "meet directly with Putin" bit - so he can be immediately murdered, which you'd love to see. Could you be any more obvious, russbot? Crawl back under Daddy Vlad's skirt, we don't need you here.

So, there are no neo-Nazi groups in the country, included in the army? there is no azov battalion and other similar ones? Didn't they vote against the UN resolution against glorification of Nazism and neo-Nazism? (together with the USA, which, oh miracle!, first qualified these groups as dangerous and would not give them training and then did so at the request of the DOF )? Aren't these groups in the military primarily acting in the East? etc etc?

As for a Putin-Zelensky-meeting, they could well have met anywhere fairly neutral. How about Stockholm?
"russbot"? WTF!!, LOL!
in any case, feel free to believe what you want, much of the the "media" is working hard to make it easy for you

DUDE, think for a second!! What you are saying is that Ukraine should just welcome Russia without a fight!? You think Putin would stop at Ukraine only if it was that easy taking a country?!?! Then it's Latvia, Lithuania, Poland... Catch my drift?
Hmmm....
OK, hold on while I think for a second.....

Yes, I think he will stop at Ukraine unless the West and Nato interferes with this Russian security operation

Ukraine is a threat to Russian security as long as they remain a puppet of the West

You are done dictating terms to a Dictator
Wake up and smell the stench of death around you

If you prevent him from stopping at Ukraine, that is not Putins doing

That's on YOU!

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/why-john-mearsheimer-blames-the-us-for-the-crisis-in-ukraine

Hmmm....
OK, hold on while I think for a second.....

Yes, I think he will stop at Ukraine unless the West and Nato interferes with this Russian security operation

Ukraine is a threat to Russian security as long as they remain a puppet of the West

You are done dictating terms to a Dictator
Wake up and smell the stench of death around you

If you prevent him from stopping at Ukraine, that is not Putins doing

That's on YOU!

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/why-john-mearsheimer-blames-the-us-for-the-crisis-in-ukraine
as the professor says, I don't think it is in russia's interest to occupy the whole of ukraine, much less for a long time.

In my opinion, Russia will move to the Kershon-Bug River-Vinnytsia-Zhytomyr-Korosten line, perhaps only perhaps including Odessa, just in case. In the east, in the Dombas, they have hardly moved the troops, it keeps the Ukrainian forces with more experience busy there, it is also complicated terrain, many cities, towns and ethnic-speaking Russians to avoid damaging, but it seems to me that when they occupy or besiege the Zaporizhzhia-Dnipro line they are going to launch the offensive from there too.

just hope

Last edited:
"Ukraine is a threat to Russian security" (Only if they were a part of NATO) and in a good way.

"Ukraine is filled with Nazis"
I finally have something to laugh at this weekend.

And my personal favorite:
"Zelensky is a puppet"
Because even if it was true (zero proof), we all know a budding Democracy would hate being helped along by some of the world's most successful examples.

Regardless of the topic, all are mantras of the repetitive lazy.

Zelensky is a US puppet. Nazis are funded by the Zelensky government (and by extension the US) and they have been waging war against Russian separatists and killing them for years. There’s dozens of documentaries on YouTube about these Nazi groups in the Ukraine, some of them are huge by producers like Vice. Do your research. The Ukraine has locked up anyone who pushes Russian separatist views so claiming they are a democracy is laughable.

And I’m not defending Putin, I’m defending the truth. The media is determined to make the Ukraine - one of the most corrupt and disgusting cesspits on earth (I’ve been there a few times) look like an innocent victim. There are so many people in the west who would profit from war with Russia but the average citizen would just see prices go up and be put at risk of attack.

Oh and I have deep pity for anyone who has donated money, as if any of that will make it to a single refugee, this is the Ukraine, criminals outnumber civilians. What you should do is either fly to the Ukraine and join their Nazis fighting Putin or shut up and move on with your life. The vast majority of us don’t want WW3.
You write like a pro-Russian propagandist. In fact, as a pro-Soviet propagandist, with that "US puppet" and references to Nazis. We're not in the Second World War. This is a technology publication, for computer enthusiasts, gamers, and IT professional, not a political media outlet. The best thing for TechSpot would be ban you and all the other propagandists, else it will also be turned into a "disgusting cesspit" like some of the other media outlets and social networks.

Bullwinkle M needs to change his name to Natasha or Boris because he/she is obviously a Russian propagandist. Too bad that trash doesn't work in a world with modern news cycles, internet and Twitter. Just give up your delusions of the greatness of the Soviet Union. It was always a **** hole. Why do you think they had to have gates and fences to keep people from leaving? The United States has plenty of internal problems, but we don't imprison or murder political dissidents. The whole world can see that Putin is evil. Everyday that goes by that he stays in power, shows that the Russian people are more and more weak and pathetic. If they weren't murdering Ukrainians, it would be comical how bad their "vaunted military" is struggling against the Ukraine. If they are struggling this much against Ukraine alone, how do you think you will perform against all of NATO? Phuck around and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back