Ice Cream Sandwich supports game controllers and HDMI

By Shawn Knight
Oct 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google Android engineer Romain Guy announced via Twitter that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich will support USB game pads and HDMI. The 140 character limit message points out that users…

Read the whole story
  2. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

Just to be clear.

THIS

is innovation.
  3. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

Apple will do this for the iPhone 5 and say they did it first.
  4. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

*coughSiricough*
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,009   +681

This was once called the Nexus Prime right? And it's replacing the Galaxy S II as Samsung's new latest and greatest correct?

I wish they'd just use Korean... then at least I would expect to be confused and wouldn't feel so dumb.
  6. DokkRokken

DokkRokken Newcomer, in training Posts: 275

Hooking up a game controller that's larger than the phone itself just to play something on a small screen? That doesn't really strike me as 'innovation.'

Maybe Siri just sets the bar that low.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,009   +681

The article is really about it working with Android 4, and it's much more applicable to tablets. They mention the phone because it's all we have right now that runs Android 4.

You're right though... i don't see anyone really doing this on their phone. Unless there's some game that they really like that's hard to play without a controller.
  8. You would use "mirror mode" to dispay the HD resolution game to an HD Television.
  9. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Maybe the ability to use a mini USB controller may get developers to create more Android games
  10. "Hooking up a game controller that's larger than the phone itself just to play something on a small screen? That doesn't really strike me as 'innovation.' "

Think about it, HDMI to your 46" screen, mini USB to Controller... you got yourself a console...

this IS INNOVATIVE!!!!
  11. DokkRokken

DokkRokken Newcomer, in training Posts: 275

So you can... what? Play Angry Birds or some cut-down version of Sim City on your 46" screen? Why not just like... buy a real console that plays real games?

12. **"So you can... what? Play Angry Birds or some cut-down version of Sim City on your 46" screen?"**

have you seen the capabilities of mobile gfx? soon it will over take console

**"Why not just like... buy a real console that plays real games?"**

because not everyone has money growing on their backs, console games are expensive
  13. spinach pie

spinach pie Newcomer, in training

micro usb to hdmi on any mobile runing ice cream sandwich? (xperia play running the beta version?)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.