Icons disappeared from the system tray

By learner1
Jun 12, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How you doing,

I recently set up a new Internet connection and as a result lost all icons in the System Tray except the clock.
    I am not really concerned with this but I find I can not disconnect from the Internet now.
    Why?
    I have no Icon in the system tray .
    If I go to my Network Connections Folder my local connection Item still shows me to be disconnected even though I am actually connected.
    If I double click on this :my only option given is to dial to create a connection.

Have tried the following received from the internet:
    "
    Note: Windows XP users may not see the connection icon of two computers at the bottom right of the screen. If that is the case follow these instructions:
    · Open the Control Panel (Click Start then Control Panel. Now make sure you are viewing in Classic View mode - see our Help article on switching to Classic Mode if you are unsure what this means).
    · Double-click the Network Connections icon
    · Right-click the Wanadoo or Freeserve icon with the word default next to it. On the menu that is displayed click Properties
    · From the 'Wanadoo Properties' or 'Freeserve Properties' box that is displayed, click on the General tab
    · At the bottom of this screen place a tick in the small white box next to 'Show icon in notification area when connected'. You can do this by placing the cursor on the box and clicking once.
    · Click OK
    "

This did not work for me.
    Any ideas please post a reply

Learner1
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Rightclick the Systray, select Properties. There is an option to show unused icons.
  3. learner1

learner1 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 52

icons

Thanks for replying,
    i have played around with the properties but am still unable to show the hidden items.

I used to click on an icon in the system tray to connect and disconnect from the internet .This gave me a dialogue option box to connect or disconnect.
    however this icon no longer appears.

Now when I go to start/connect to/eircom25 when I get a dailogue box asking me to Dial.

when i disconnect i should get the dialogue box to give me an option to disconnect but it still shows
    dial.

so i cannot disconnect unless i shut down the commputer.
    any ideas
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

I don't have those options with broadband, but they can be set somewhere in the modem- and dial-up properties. Also, on the desktop, rightclick the IE symbol, select the tab Connections. Then check the properties of your Eircom25.
    Maybe someone with a modem can help you further.
  5. learner1

learner1 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 52

thanks again

Thanks for trying

learner1
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.