ICS Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have 3 computers, 1 laptop running XP, 1 desktop runnign XP and 1 laptop running vista. I have been trying to share my internet (which is verizon wireless pc card 5750. It is faster than dialup, more like dsl speeds, but acts
like dialup because it dials to connects.) I have a wired network with a netgear 104 ethernet hub. the laptop with vista has the internet connection. All of the computers have static ip's. The laptop with vista has ip 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The laptop running XP has ip of 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet mask and the defealt gateway is 192.168.0.1. The desktop running XP has ip of 192.168.0.4 and same subnet mask and defealt gateway. The computers all see each other, all pings are successful and I can share files. However on the laptop running xp I can see the internet gateway and it is connected but I can't access the internet on the computer. The desktop doesn't even show the internet gateway and also won't access the internet. The IE settings are on "automatically detect
settings."

What am I missing?

Have the ICS Server use the address of 192.168.0.1 and have the hosts use DHCP to grab addresses.

Here is an excellent website that I thought would also give you some pointers if required. ICS

When I changed the Ip address from static to DHCP it gave it a new ip address and did everything. I can stil transfer files and see the internet gateway. However, the internet is still not working.

Hmm. The clients default gateway should be set to that of the ICS server.

All of the computers have static ip's. The laptop with vista has ip 192.168.0. and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The laptop running XP has ip of 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet mask and the defealt gateway is 192.168.0.1.

If your ICS servers IP is still 192.168.0.0, then set the default gateway of the clients there. If not, set the clients default gateway to the new IP of your laptop hosting the ICS

well 192.168.0.0 is invalid and the addresses for the device connected via ICS
should not be set manually.

Make sure you have the ROUTING & REMOTE ACCESS SERVICE auto-started and
enabled in the NIC used for the ICS connection.

jobeard said:
Make sure you have the ROUTING & REMOTE ACCESS SERVICE auto-started and
enabled in the NIC used for the ICS connection.

How do I check that?

And why can I see the internet gateway and it is connected, yet cannot access the internet?

Control panel >> Admin tools >> Services.
Scroll down to routing and remote access. Double click and change startup type to automatic. Click start. Close the window.

Ok, I lied, I tried fixing the routing and remote access on my desktop. It worked, which is the reason for the above post. Now I tried the same fix on my laptop with XP and after I enabled routing and remote access i still cannot access the internet. So my desktop can and my laptop can't. My laptop's (XP laptop) ip is assigned by the DHCP and it shows the internet gateway and incoming connections.

Why didn't the fix for one computer fix the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back