id Software releases new Rage footage, multiplayer details

By Matthew
Apr 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. New details about id Software's Rage has surfaced this week, giving gamers a taste of what they can expect from both single and multiplayer portions of the game. First announced in 2007, Rage is set in a post-apocalyptic world after the impact of Apophis, a real life asteroid that is expected to pass near Earth in 2036. Naturally, the player survives that catastrophe and is left to fend for themselves among other survivors, including eight or more hostile factions comprised of bandits and mutants.

Read the whole story
  2. WildEast

WildEast TS Rookie

"We imagine this is partly because some gamers are bored of post-apocalyptic fiction, having played titles like BioShock and Fallout in recent years." This sums all.
    The game looks kinda normal, if it was released 3 years ago it'd be great. The shooting looks like most games and same for environment except for some new looking weapons and vehicles etc., gamers need more original titles even though this is so hard nowadays.
  3. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

What kind of physics will this game have? I was disappointed with the 1st encounter with a larger enemy in this vid... woulda been nice to see a car or two thrown around.
  4. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 93

Sweeet! A new Borderlands!
  5. Gars

Gars TS Booster Posts: 222

no DNF at all
    i kinda it
  6. Gars

Gars TS Booster Posts: 222

hehe, ive miss it
    put whatever you like in the spot:
    i kinda [?] it
  7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Probably pretty poor physics if you consider what the asteroid impact would really do to the planet. =)
  8. mccartercar

mccartercar TS Booster Posts: 130   +24

Imagine eating only oily cheese and cheap mayonnaise condimented sandwiches all of your life and one day someone comes along and offers you a sandwich with cheese and mayonnaise. Of course you are going to be skeptical because you are so used to these horrible tasting sandwiches all of your life that you never knew the true value that good quality ingredients could bring to any sandwich. Of course I like my sandwiches with good quality mayonnaise and cheese and I like my post apocalyptic shooters with VEHICLES and not the kind of vehicles that drive and look like the ones in borderlands that cannot be upgraded gameplay wise or cosmetically, and not models of vehicles that cannot be driven at all like in fallout 3 and F:NV even though one mission in particular referred to someone needing their car fixed so it could be drove around but was nowhere to be found.
    It's also worth noting that R.A.G.E has been in development since before Fallout 3,F:NV, and borderlands and is built on whole new technology and does not borrow sounds, images, textures, or gameplay techniques from a pre-existing game ala fallout 3 from TES: O.
    While I may be in a minority because I have religiously followed every scrap of R.A.G.E.'s development from day one, I feel this game, at least in my opinion, will far outshine any previous post apocalyptic shooter whether TPS or FPS. Do not for one second believe this game does not have a following, it is just that John Carmack knows what it takes to make a great game even if Doom 3 was merely a tech demo in fledgling disguise.
  9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +93

Yawn. I want sex and drugs in my adult games. Duke Nukem, save us.
  10. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

It looks good, but somehow unimpressive. Maybe that's just me...
  11. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 744   +12

Wait, $60? I think I'll acquire it through other means instead.

Enjoy your no purchase, ID. Come back and sell me a game when you don't consider me a sheep. Cram your ten extra dollars up your windpipe.
  12. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Well, can't be any worse than Crysis 2.
    The environments look nicely detailed. Not sure about the gameplay, does remind me of a revamped/updated Borderlands setting.
  13. So far to me: Looks like out-door DOOM 3. Maybe we get a Demo and can see if it was worth the wait....

Id does not inspire as it once did. All those remakes, Staff turnovers, delays...
  14. I cant get interested in a new game where all the monsters look alike. Its like there is

Monster A Is small with a club and all look alike down to the color
    Monster B Is fat and has range and all look alike
    Monster C etc

We have the technology use it.
  15. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Guru Posts: 451   +37

This game looks sick....

For some reason it sort of reminds me of I am Legend
  16. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 300   +6

The graphics are very nice though,with heavy use of DX11