TechSpot

IDC: PC market on fast track to recovery

By Matthew
Dec 17, 2009
  1. According to IDC, strong back-to-school demand boosted global PC shipments in the third quarter of 2009, increasing 2.3% after three consecutive quarters of decline. The firm believes the PC market is on a fast track to recovery, with worldwide shipments projected to grow by double digits on a yearly basis through 2013. The total number of computers sold could reach 321.4 million next year, compared to 291.4 million units in 2009 -- and that trend is expected to continue. Shipments could reportedly hit 444.4 million in 2013.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

Nice to see the PC market re-surging. Think the drop had more to do with a bad economy (that impacted everything), then a lack of need for PC's.

It's a market that's going to be robust as long as there's a need for information processing.

3. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,902   +528

Although i agree with the laptop sales (which are very optimistic by the way) the desktop's growth looks very pessimistic. 2010 should be a much better year for desktop PC's than 2009.

4. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 526

It is interesting to see the projection for laptop/portable sales to be double desktops by 2012. I believe it though as i ended up picking a laptop over a desktop as well for space/portability reasons. Most people don't or can't make sure of the power you can get in a desktop anyway, so why bother?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.