IDE Channel 4 Master Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 HDD in my computer(mainboard intel D101G),

first one is parallel ATA (contains OS, 80GB)
second one is SATA (installed recently, 320GB)

everything was working fine , suddenly system hanged so badly that i was unable to end processes Via Task manager. i turned off power. when i restarted i got this error

"IDE Channel 4 Master Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad "

when i remove my SATA everything goes fine.
hard disk is quite new(3-4 months old),
i have no clue what to do,
pls help i have over 150 GB of DATA that i don wanna loose.

You can download speedfan and check your hdd with it including SMART values to see whether the drive is dying / or dead.

Here is some useful info about how smart works.

Attachments

• How Hard Disk SMART Works.pdf
    178.7 KB · Views: 44
@Mictlantecuhtli :i have checked cable connections also replaced them with another SATA cable,

@Archean : how to use speedfan??, my window do not start when i keep my SATA plugged in.

it does not show desktop, hangs on start-up screen.

Can you please give me make/model number of 300gb sata?

so i can check whether there is way to turn off SMART? now you can also check your board's bios, to see whether it allows disabling SMART

Can you download Seatools Dos utilities for seagate drives to disable smart?

If you search on Seagate site you can also find this pdf; on its page # 54, this document state that SMART Operations can be disabled.

To use that DOS Util with your faulty drive connected; I'll advise you to try booting into either windows safe mode; or Command Prompt with safe mode; then run that dos utility to try and disable SMART.

If your computer do not allow this; perhaps can you ask a friend to try to do it for you on his computer?

Goodkluck.

nothing doin..............:(,
time to claim its 60 months Warranty.
pls, tell me one thing is there any problem in using
1 Parallel ATA and 1 SATA on same computer??

Absolutely not; until very recently I had two SATA + 1 ATA HDDs running just fine along with two IDE/ATA DVD-RWs.

Edit:
Infact, currently my setup is just about same minus that IDE/ATA 80 GB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back