IDE Controller Failure?

By daniel_shub
Jul 9, 2006
  1. I have a ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo, and two ODD (DVD writer and a DVD drive). I cannot boot from either IDE ODD drive on a regualr basis. It doesn't seem disk dependnent (orignal CDs and burned ones seem to work/fail with the same frequency). I have updated the mobo bios and the ODD firmwares to there latests versions and this did not fix the probelem. I have swapped cables, disconnected/reconnected the drives. I even tried a new drive and cable from a working computer. The bios (POST??) always detects the ODD drives, it just cannot boot from the drive.

When I boot into Windows 2000 from the SATA HDD, the ODD drvies are always found, but they often do not recognize the CD/DVD and says "Insert Disk".

Is this an IDE controller failure or something else?
    How do I test for IDE controller failure?
    Is there a work around besides replaceing the mobo?
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

How are the ODD jumpered? is the Burner master and the Rom Slave?
  3. daniel_shub

daniel_shub TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried all (or at least a lot of the) combos of jumpering (slave/master), cable placement (middle/end) and IDE connector (primary/secondary) for each drive individually. The rom drive works in another computer, and a working cd rom drive does not work in mine.

Could it be the power supply?

Any other ideas?
  4. iss

it is possible it is the PSU what brand is the PSU and what wattage?
  5. daniel_shub

daniel_shub TS Rookie Topic Starter

The PSU is a Cool Master and is rated to 350 W. It is not powering much. I have runplugged everything except for the two case fans and the APG video card. How do I test the PSU?

I borrowed a SATA DVD drive yesterday, and that is working fine. I am going to try and find a PCI IDE controller card to test.

If it is the IDE controller, is the mobo going down hill? Is it worth spending $30-50 for the controler card or do I shell out the ~$100 for a new mobo and do the reinstall of everything (hopefully I can find an Asus A*V deleuxe and not have to reinstall).

6. iss

First I would test the PSU, Antec makes a nifty PSu tester for around 12.00 that shows a green light ( good) red light )bad) for each rail. so you can get that or take your PSU to a shop and let them test it. Before you do that you could download and install speed fan to check if their are any fluctuations on your rails.

Frankly I would not go the route of a PCI IDE card. they can be quirky unless you pay for a quality one and even then they can be tempermental with Optical drives. if it turns out that your PSU is ok, then it is probably a defective mobo that is the problem. and iif The IDE ports have gone bad then some other part may soon follow. I would suggest replacing the mobo, if that is the case.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.