IDE hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoning

On a computer i own there was 1 IDE hard drive and it was running low on space so i bought another IDE hard drive. I bought an IDE cable that had 3 connections (1 for motherboard, 2 for other IDE connections) When i hooked up both of the open IDE connections to each of the hard drives windows would not boot, so i messes around a bit and noticed if i have the 1st connection on motherboard, 2nd (middle) connection no being used, and the 3rd and final connection on my old drive windows boots fine. Im not a comp pro so i was wondering if anyone knew what i could do? Can you run 2 hard drives off 1 IDE cable? Another computer i have uses 1 connection for CD ROM and another for hard drive.. is that the only available thing you can do? Thanks in advance for any comments

Can you run 2 hard drives off 1 IDE
Yes
On the back of the ATA HardDrives, you will see a little jumper
Put both jumers on CS (Cable Select)
Put the Bootable Windows HardDrive in the middle, and the other on the end

If it doesn't work, try M (Master) on the Main Drive, and Slave on the end one.

kimsland said:
Yes
On the back of the ATA HardDrives, you will see a little jumper
Put both jumers on CS (Cable Select)
Put the Bootable Windows HardDrive in the middle, and the other on the end

If it doesn't work, try M (Master) on the Main Drive, and Slave on the end one.
The new hard drive didnt come with any jumpers, how do i get ahold of 1?

kimsland said:
Without any jumpers in the back, what does the HardDrive say that it's set to ? (CS ?)
What do you man what does it say its set to? The comp didnt boot up while having that drive connected so i dont know what its set to

There's a picture or diagram on the HardDrive, or sometimes just little letters saying M CS

You need to check the picture out, it'll probably be CS, just put the other drive to CS too (the main drive in the middle)

kimsland said:
There's a picture or diagram on the HardDrive, or sometimes just little letters saying M CS

You need to check the picture out, it'll probably be CS, just put the other drive to CS too (the main drive in the middle)
Got it working, thanks kimsland :)

Well done
I'm assuming it's all CS now (where as before, it was M and the other CS which won't work, as you found)

kimsland said:
Well done
I'm assuming it's all CS now (where as before, it was M and the other CS which won't work, as you found)
Well i actually dont know what my master/windows drive is set to. They way i had to mount the 2nd drive made it damn near impossible to get to my main drive so what i did was just found a jumper from an old motherboard i dont use anymore.. and put it to CS on the new drive. Put the master/windows drive at the end of the cable and the new/slave drive in the middle with the CS jumper. Works fine now

OK

Well hopefully you got an 80 wire type on the IDE cable
I'm sure it suppose to be in the middle. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back