IDE to SATA

I have an HP desktop and I wish to add another DVD writer that has been given to me. Unfortunately, this unit is IDE but I have no IDE ports on my motherboard. I have purchased an IDE to Sata adapter but this again requires an IDE slot on the motherboard. How do I get around this problem and will I have to purchase another Sata DVD RW?

It sounds like you need a SATA to IDE adapter. Why not get one of those?

Hi mailpup,

Sorry, but if you read my question properly, you will clearly see that I have already purchased an adapter. My question clearly was, how do I get around the problem of not having an IDE port on my motherboard so that I can use the adapter or can it be that I can just plug this adapter into the back of the unit.

can it be that I can just plug this adapter into the back of the unit.
As far as I'm aware that depends on the adapter. The best I can tell some adapters are designed to plug into the motherboard while others are designed to plug into the drive. I don't think they can be used in either location (I could be mistaken though). I do know what you ask can be done, I'm just not sure it can be done with the adapter you mentioned having. If you could let us know which adapter you have, we could look up a few details and possibly give you a better answer.

Edit:
Just to let you know the adapter would probably cost the same as simply purchasing a DVD Writer. DVD Writer's are not that expensive compared to HDD's or SSD's.

I did read your question properly. You didn't read mine correctly. You said you bought a IDE to SATA adapter but since you don't have an IDE port you can't use it. I suggested buying a SATA to IDE adapter. That's the opposite. You connect this adapter to your SATA port so you can connect your IDE device to it. I checked before I posted earlier and those adapters are available.

But before you buy a second adapter consider what cliffordcooley said that you might be better off just buying a SATA DVD writer. Of course, what you do is up to you.

Suppose another route would be to buy a PCI IDE controller card. They should be fairly inexpensive, I remember when ATA133 drives came out Maxtor would give you a PCI IDE controller card because at the time most motherboards could only handle ATA 33/66 so a controller that could handle 100/133 offered a big performance boost. So... since those were given away with drives, and PATA/IDE is not used much anymore, you may be able to find one cheap if you look outside of traditional retailers.

Back