Ideas for a couple of reviews - VR desktop, "Extreme" Upscaling

motoDrizzt

Hi TS, just a couple of ideas from situations I'm facing right now:

1) As I travel a lot I'm not able to have with me a big laptop, even less a decent sized monitor. Now, I've read there are ways to use a VR headset to visualise the desktop, but all the reviews I've read around seems to go a little overboard and end up with not so enthusiastics results. But as I said I think they go overboard, because they are using VR applications that create a VR office, with multiple screens and walls and useless stuff like that.
My idea, instead: use of a PC normally, with a normal desktop, but through a VR so to be able to actually have the equivalent of a bigger monitor; no 3D desktops or other absurdities.
Now, the points for a review would be: how to do it? What's the perceived quality? How comfortable is it? Can you held it up for 8 hours a day at least? Can you get used to it, so that if the first day it's odd and weird, after a weeks or so you can use it for 12 hours a day without any fatigue?

2) I've read with interest the article about different GPU scaling filters, but they all test from 1800p to 4k.
Fair enough. What about some more extreme upscaling, mixed with antialias off/on? Still thinking about VR, but even about users with a low fi PC and a 4K tv.
A 4K TV is somehow easy to get. It's cheap, and especially if you have to convince your significant other a 4K TV is something all the family will use, while your 2 thousands euro for a decent PC to play games are way more difficult to put in the budget. Even more if it's a laptop, as a laptop capable of outputting 60fps at 1800p is going to cost a truckload of money.
So, let's suppose most everyday people can afford a FullHD capable laptop, with a modern GPU, able to push every game at a decent frame rate. How does it upscale with RIS, Refresher, and the like, at VR or 4K resolutions? And what about the difference in upscaling with and without AA activated?

Back