IE 6. & Hotmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble logging into my Hotmail accounts to retreive my messages. I log in normally and get this in return:

NET Passport Unavailable at This Site Help

The .NET Passport service is currently unavailable at this Web site for one of these reasons:

• The site may contain an error or be experiencing a problem that affects the .NET Passport service.
• The site may not be an official .NET Passport-participating site.

You can:

• Return to this site later and try to sign in or register again.
• Sign in or register for a .NET Passport at another .NET Passport participating site. .NET Passport Site Directory

I've cleaned out my IE cache, History, cookies and everything else you're supposed to do to run a clean and mean machine, all this to no avail.

I now have to go through OExpress to download my messages, which is very inconvenient while surfing. I've been unable to locate any help through asking around and have run out of ideas. :confused:

Anybody have any thoughts on this.:

Thanks peeps for your input. I am not looking to get new accounts, at least not at this point in time. I am using my Hotmail accounts on a daily basis for posts and other stuff. I am getting into these accounts through Outlook Express,:rolleyes: but it is not convenient doing it this way when I am on the net. I have run the SFC with nothing apparantly wrong. I then installed a new copy of MS's Java machine and this didn't help.:dead: So here I am still trying to access my Hotmail like everyone else, but can't do.:mad:

H
That's funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

I originally thought it was the firewall due to my position within IT, but after some research and verifying settings, this is what I found....

Down on the status bar there is a gray oval with a red circle on top. The red circle has a white dash through it. I double clicked on it and discovered that all cookies for the hotmail site were being blocked. Once I right clicked and then changed to accept cookies, I was able to access. This should fix you! Good luck!

This solution was sent to me via email by some reader that cared but wasn't able to post/register for some reason:
I got into my hotmail after recieving weeks of what he described this way:

go to the www.hotmail.com website.
when you try to sign in, you'll get the same stupid message Sterno above writes about.
THEN, look down at the browser eye icon at the bottom right hand side of your computer screen, the one with the red circle and the white dash across it.
Double click on it.
It will say "privacy report"
at the bottom of this tiny window, Go to "settings" button and click on it.
Go to "security" tab
click on the green trusted sites icon once, then go down to the sites button and click on that.
Type into "add this website to the zone, the following:
https://www.hotmail.com (yes, I meant to put the "s" in there)
Then,- below that, check the box if not checked already that says" require server verification....blah blah blah....."
Then click okay. At this juncture, my computer shut down, but never fear. Just restart it, and then try to get on the www.hotmail.com website again, and go to the eye and red circle at the bottom , like you did before.
If "show all restricted websites" is the choosen option, you should see www.hotmail.com there, or something like that... (may have http in front of it or similar)...
Then, right click on the hotmail web address and left click on the "always accept cookies from this website"
then , if you haven't been directed to the correct hotmail page yet, close the tiny privacy report window you have been working in, and sign in like usual.

This is simply a more detailed version of the idea from shoesuntied (thank you, Shoesuntied!) And I hope this helps at least one person, like it helped me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back