IE 7 issue -- Stuck on loadup for 20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralvarez

Internet Explorer 7 issue -- Stuck on loadup for 20 minutes

When I boot my computer I try to open IE 7 and it just gets stuck.
IE7 opens but gives me a blank screen. Just the IE screen but no pages opened. All it shows is the address bar and a white screen.It takes about 20 minutes before the page loads up. Then after that, IE 7 works normal.- Until I reboot the computer.

I then tested to see if its a network issue, but I was able to ping google.
I also tested it by installing Firefox and re-starting the computer and Firefox just loads up.
I have done a full Malware scan with Malware Bytes and a full Virus scan and Spyware scan with McAfee.
I have re-installed IE7.
I have removed all cookies, files etc.
Nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anyone with any ideas?
Could it be a corrupt file in the registry?
Could it be some sort of virus that McAfee is not picking up?

ral: I would suggest you to consider upgrading to IE8, usually I use FF, but sometimes I still use IE (i.e. IE8 now). I think it performs better, and is more stable than IE7.

What if you run IE7 with administrative account? does it behave in the same way? Also one more thing, do yo have Windows Live installed?

Yep. Same thing with admin account. Tested that.
I do not have Windows Live installed.
I also tried un-installing - re-installing Internet explorer from the windows components, and also un-installing and re-installing IE7.
Seems like nothing works.

Launch IE 7 without the add-ons by selecting the menu item Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons).

If that works well, we should have some clues from that; also do you have any toolbars/IMs from yahoo/google installed on your machine?

I have tried that. It did not work. Did not help at all.
I un-installed all toolbars from this machine but still does not help.
Like I have said, I am just baffled by this issue. I have tried all suggestions so far but IE just is a major issue.

Update: I upgraded to IE 8 today. It did not solve the problem. IE 8 now just does not open for like 20 minutes till its ready to open. THen all of a sudden, it will open.
I also tried copying the files under Internet Explorer from one computer to this computer, and it did not work.

Any other ideas? I still can not get IE to work when I start up the computer for 20 minutes. Only Firefox works. After about 20 minutes IE will load and work.

Same here

I have this same problem with IE 8 (well maybe, I don't have 20 minutes worth of patients to see if it ever loads ;)) I will open it and get not responding. If I open another instance it opens. I have used every spy ware dectection and came up clean.I have reinstalled and run with out add ons. I have even run chcksum to see if that would help. I created a fresh account on that machine and it behaves the same. Really annoying.

I have been looking around to find something plausible with regard to this issue. However, major stumbling block lies in one thing, i.e. IE runs in user mode, and processes that run in user-mode do so in their virtual address spaces, and do not have direct access to hardware or memory that was not allocated to them; this improves stability of the entire system as such process is not interfering with other processes, but finding problems becomes bit tricky as well especially as in your case IE is not crashing; hence its not triggering Internet Explorer Error Reporting Tool.

You may download ProcessExplorer and try to monitor which files/registry keys/or dynamic link libraries are opened/launched alongside IE, and perhaps guess which one may be hanging up or something like that.

Edit:
By the way, what is your default home page in IE? Have you tried to set it as blank?

The default in IE is www.msn.com.
I have tried a default as blank.
I also tried uninstalling IE8 and used IE6 but the same problem still exists.
I then tried uninstalling IE6, and reinstalled IE6 then IE7 but the problem still occurs. I will try to use process explorer to monitor what starts up when IE 7 starts up and compare it to another computer. Maybe that will help me find a solution.

The only other solution I can maybe come up with would be to re-format the computer and re-install everything. I know this would work, but it would take a long time.

And effort as well, probably one reason I am not reinstalling my OS but then again I have much 'smaller' issue of my own making :)

Hi
I had the exact same issue - the problem was java ... To test, go into Control panel and go into internet options from here .. Disable Java from the advanced settings and test Internet explorer .. It should be fine ... If it is, uninstall any java components from your machine and install the latest runtime.

Well I found out the other day now, IE starts within a minute from startup. I guess uninstalling IE6 and IE7 and re-installing everything might have worked. (2'nd time I did it)
If anything changes I will let you guys know and I will try the java thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back