TechSpot

IE 8 Crashes

By craZy18gurl
Jan 8, 2010
  1. I've heard a lot of people complain about IE but I've never once had any problem with it, until recently that is. It seems to be consistently crashing all the time. I've scanned my computer, no virus/malware or anything like.

Any suggestions?

2. jackkent

jackkent TS Rookie

Maybe some IE add-on failure caused the crash. You may disable the add-ons to see if the problem is solved. The add-on manager is at "Tools ->Manage Add-ons".

3. craZy18gurl

craZy18gurl TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 67

I tried that but it proved no good as my explorer crashed again earlier.

4. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TS Enthusiast Posts: 742

This may be due to a software conflict. Have you installed another Browser recently or a program similarly to this which may be doing a software conflict?

5. craZy18gurl

Nope, haven't installed any other. IE is the only browser I have ever used. Would perhaps reinstalling it help?

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Can you give some specific error code/crash details?

7. craZy18gurl

Well whenever I'm just doing what I do on IE, at a random point everything will freeze, with the window bar stating 'Not Responding'. Eventually a window pops up stating 'Internet Explorer has stopped working' with two options of checking for a solution on the internet and closing the program or simply closing the program. At times I get an option as well to wait for the program to respond, and I would wait a great deal but no good and I am left with no choice but to close the program and restart.

8. Archean

Go to Control Panel, System & Security, Admin Tools - Event Viewer, there will be a window in the central section listing various sort of error events including critical ones; can you check for internet explorer error details and give us some clues?

9. craZy18gurl

Alright I took look and through the Administrative Events I found a lot of Error reports for IE. A total of 18 dating today. Some read the same or different things;

10. Archean

Can you open regedit (by clicking on start, run and typing in regedit) then searching for following key's presence?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]

And do you remember when you started having this issue? perhaps visiting some site where you clicked on something which in turn started this?

Anyway if you find the above key in your windows registry erase it (but as a precaution do make a backup copy of it before do so - Right click it to make a backup and select Export, give it a name you can remember).

Goodluck

11. craZy18gurl

I believe it was Youtube. While chatting with a friend on Windows Live Messenger, he sent me Youtube link. I clicked it, the IE window that popped up froze and ever since then, this has been happening.

Oh and there does seem to be any RPCKDM under Services. I double checked. Can't find it at all.

12. Archean

Alright, I think while i further look into it; you can update your flash player as the version you have is older one. new one is 10.0.42.34

13. craZy18gurl

Alright, I'll do that right now. Thank you for your help thus far Archean.

14. Archean

Do you have Skype pluging for IE installed? by any chance

I am guessing atm but i believe culprit may be Java; try uninstalling it totally, downloading the latest version of JRE and reinstalling it.

15. craZy18gurl

Looking into the Internet Add Ons, it lists a 'Skype add-on (mastermind)' and 'Skype' enabled.

Java? Alright I'll try that right now.

16. Archean

That can cause this issues as well; I'll ask you to look into uninstalling skype addon for IE and also update Java as I advised above.

17. craZy18gurl

Done and done. I have uninstalled the skype addo-ons and have updated Java. I suppose after this I am to wait and see?

18. Archean

yup; do keep us updated, Goodluck and Allah Hafiz for now then :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.