TechSpot

IE and opera won't open web pages

By reg33
Jun 26, 2008
  1. Hi!

I have a problem with my internet connection. We have 2 laptops at home both use XP and on one computer everything is working fine. On the other, when i connect the internet cable to it, then it showa that internet is connected but neithet IE7 or Opera open any web pages. When I disconnect the cable and connect through wireless connection then everything works.

I don't know if this has everything to do with it but the problem started after I had installed Avast antivirus. I installed it in the evening and then turned off the computer. When I turned it on the next morning then web pages wouldn't load.

I hope someone can help me with this.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

What firewall are you using? What other security? Are you using multiple security brands on same computer?

3. reg33

reg33 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm using Windows firewall. I used Avg 7.5 then updated to Avg 8 but it had problems - it didn't start scanning computer for viruses, so I uninstalled it and installed Avast instead. Since after that I could not access web pages I uninstalled that too and now I have Avira antivirus installed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.