IE Explorer freezes desktop icons

Hi my desktop items seem to freeze when i open and then x out of internet explorer, i can still access the start menu and items on the taskbar, mozilla firefox also works fine, any ideas what the problem may be?

Slow Internet Explorer?

Do you have the option ticked, in Internet Explorer, 'Tools', 'Internet Options', General Tab, 'Delete browsing history on exit' ?
Also do you use the program 'CCleaner' ? It does a good job of clearing out the files that you collect while browsing. These can slow down I.E to a crawl. Also it's better not to have too many 'add-on's'. To test this, type into your 'search' bar, (from Start), 'Internet Explorer'. In the list, choose the second option down, 'Internet Explorer-no add-ons'. If that is faster, then you can go to 'Tools', 'Manage add-ons',
then clear some of them out. Hope that helps.

Hi Mike, thanks ill check this out when I get home im using the work computer at the mo, where do you recommend I download ccleaner?

You can use the link mentioned above, it's the same as the makers own page,
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner. I have been using this program daily since windows 98 and ME days, now Win 7, most reliable I find. Would say that best to use it as it downloads. There are several boxes not ticked, would advise to leave it like that, as it's set up as most users need it. The scanning time is about 3 seconds, cleaning takes about 0.5 second. The top left 'brush' icon is all you need to click on, then click lower right option. I would be very surprised if you don't see a difference in the way your PC performs.

Disable Add-ons

Hello MachoMan,

Clearing browsing history is always a good thing to do. If it doesn't help, try running IE with no add-ons. To do this close out of IE and then search for "Internet Explorer" from your Windows start menu and choose "Internet Explorer (no add-ons)". If this solves the issue then close out of IE (no add-ons), reopen IE as you normally do and start disabling add-ons through the Add-on Manager one-by-one to find out which one is at the root of the problem.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Cassandra
IE Outreach Team

Back