IE hijacked...please help.

By akshay
Jun 30, 2004
  1. Hello friends,
    I run virus scans regularly, have XP firewall, zone alarm and a hardware based firewall, but since past one week, everytime I try to start IE,
    It tries to go to this website:

and doesn't do anything after that,
    Can I do anything to change this?
    I have tried to change the default homepage a number of times, but to no avail.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. FeTaLDaMagE

FeTaLDaMagE TS Rookie Posts: 44

3. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 482

and run spybot and adaware for god's sake- all those firewalls arent gonna protect you from spyware
  4. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

I haven't checked for myself yet, maybe I will later, but for the mean time, does anybody know off the top of their heads if that web addy is written in hex?

Edit: never mind. Already ansewred my own question. Wasn't soing anything else I suppose so why not.

I wouldn't suggest clicking on the link. I'd rather that it was shown as plain text, but it translates as - "[null]"
  5. akshay

akshay TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I do run spybot and adaware on a weekely basis and that hasn't helped teh matters.
    I'll try the MS solution on their website tonight.
    Thanks again.
  6. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 536

The best advise would be to change your web browser and use something else than IE, like Firefox for example, which I am successfully using for over a year now.
  7. Eric Legge

Eric Legge TS Rookie Posts: 132

HiJackThis has a new version available -

You can use the Auto Update check, by clicking Config Misc Tools and Click the "Check for Update Online".

HijackThis 1.98: new build 06/29/04.

* Added 50 new Registry value to scan for IE!
    * Added status text during scan.
    * Added a ton of new files to the LSP whitelist (missing imon.dll shouldn't show anymore as well).
    * Support for non-US character sets (Japanese, Traditional/Simplified Chinese and Korean)!
    * Fixed a bug where R3 entries ending in '}_' weren't fixed.
    * Backups are now placed in a seperate folder labelled 'backups'.
    * Improved detection of O4 Registry autoruns, RunServicesOnce key is now also checked.
    * Fixed a possible catastrophic bug in fixing of F2 Userinit entries (incorrect backup restore).
    * Added small process manager and hosts file editor (Misc Tools).
    * Disabled routine to fix O10 items, since this can break the Winsock LSP stack

Direct dl:

8. akshay

hey digitAlex,
    Thanks for the tip, and I did download the Firefox at work today, and seems to work perfectly, Is there any way of getting rid of IE from my system?
  9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Just don't use it.

Removing it from the system can cause some really unexpected behavior, such as certain installers and many programs not working.
  10. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 536

I'm glad I just created one more Firefoxer on the planet ;) Keep following us, and I will lead you to the light ....

hm hm

nevermind, it's friday and I definitely have to get some rest
  11. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 407

I like Firefox, yet you still need IE to run Windows Update. No way around it thanks to Microsoft.
  12. akshay

Firefox Rocks.
    Thanks a bunch guys.
    Have a nice weekend.
  13. SturmteK

SturmteK TS Rookie Posts: 62

You must have a spyware/trojan.
    Sometimes this happens to me when some website embeds iteslf in the startup weblink.
  14. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

2000 and XP have the "automatic update" installer, so you just might be able to get your updates without IE.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.