IE Hijacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend is using IE7. Every time you go to any website it gets redirected to a page telling you to purchase Antivirus 2010.

I have run Avast, Spybot S&D, and Super-Antispyware. I have also run Hijackthis and cleaned the prefetch folder. The only thing that was found was removed. The problem remains.

I got around it by installing Firefox, but would like to know how to fix the problem.

Thank you much,

Erik

Is that the only site you can view on IE?

Check each of the processes from the processes tab when pressing ctrl + alt + del. Just type them in on google. If google says one of them is bad, delete the process and then load up IE again to see if it still happens.

Kind regards,
Scott

I also use the system explorer program, and did not see anything unusual. I scanned through processes, the startup folder, and the other folders as well.

Pretty much any site you go to redirects to that page.

When i get back over to his house, I can check through it again.

I also use the system explorer program, and did not see anything unusual. I scanned through processes, the startup folder, and the other folders as well.

Pretty much any site you go to redirects to that page.

When i get back over to his house, I can check through it again.

I've had that problem before - was adware that had attached itself to the IE shortcut so every time IE loaded, the adware did as well...

Gota love firefox :)

Kind regards,
Scott

So, is there a way to get rid of it? Ad-Aware maybe? I had not tried that. Or is that where uninstalling and re-installing IE would do the best? I have them using Firefox right now, but would like to fix the problem.

Thanks much,
Erik

Theres loads of ways. If it's a viral adware program, you need to wait till anti viral companies find it, it could hide the process, it could inject it's executable code in to an existing process in which case you would never know it's there, it could also be installed as a "service" meaning it won't generally show in the processes list, it could be in the startup folder, etc...

Theres literally hundreds of ways it could work to do what it does.

Kind regards,
Scott

Another possible direction

I would recommend with your description - the first thing that should be done is to go to the guide page recommending you go through an 8-step process to remove all spyware/malware/viruses. I would recommend doing this prior to any other processes. One can really be surprised what this process will produce in 'performance improvements'
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ One may be tempted to bypass a step or two. I would strongly suggest you resist the temptation.
Good luck!

Follow the instructions found at the link prvided by BillAllen55, then return here and post your logs.

Also try RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:
1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.
Note If you cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back