TechSpot

IE mouse tracking flaw allows sites to record cursor movements

By Rick
Dec 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Spider.io reported today that Microsoft has no "immediate plans" to fix the potential Internet Explorer vulnerability which allows any website operator (or advertiser, hacker etc...) to track a visitor's mouse cursor movements. Microsoft's security team has acknowledged the issue but...

Read more
  2. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

Interesting. Curious, would the "hacker" know what's on your screen (outisde of IE)? Would they have to take screenshots of your computer to know what you're clicking? It seems this is more of a privacy issue if so. Regardless they need to fix this asap.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,915   +363

Thats why you dont use IE. I dont care how much "better" it is than before, there are better options and microsoft is continuing to neglect huge issues.
  4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,069   +39

I dont care if they know where my mouse is or clicking... what I do care about is when it's in relation to what's on my screen. I kinda skimmed the article, and maybe a missed a detail... but sounds like no big deal.
  5. FF222

FF222 TS Rookie Posts: 25   +6

Yeah, right. Both Chrome and Firefox have dozens of vulnerabilities discovered every month in them (all of them which allow you also to monitor mouse coordinates, and much more), but you don't use IE, because a web page opened in it can query the coordinates of the mouse - which by itself has no privacy implications whatsoever. Makes sense.
  6. Ha ha, silly they are. Even a big company like tinysoft can't escape the bug pandemic. Seem their updates are the work of little children or people that work for their daily 10 grains of rice.
    Keep up the good work!
  7. Does having an SSL connection to (for example) your bank mitigate this risk?
  8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,915   +363

cause firefox and chrome are the only "better" alternatives, right? kk.
    I wasnt talking about this one in particular. I dont care how small the privacy threat is, make some sort of attempt fix it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.