IE10 - annoying confirmation when closing TechSpot tab

mrtraver

Just in the last few days, whenever I try to close a tab with Techspot, I get a dialog box asking if I really want to leave the page. Has something changed on the website? Any suggestions? I don't think it is a browser setting, since it only happens for Techspot.

It only happens with IE, but please don't suggest using a different browser to resolve my issue. I do use chrome and firefox for specific things, but I just prefer IE for general browsing.

Thanks!

techspot.png

I unfortunately get the same thing after the last round of MS updates

First time I'm hearing about this, I will look into it...

We certainly haven't coded this in, but something is triggering it. To help me narrow things down, can you tell me if this is happening on the forum only or also the main site? Please try different pages, for example the homepage, a news story, a forum list and a forum thread.

I also found this, which may help disabling the prompt (for any page):

Disable “Scripting” by going to:
Internet Options > Security > Custom Level > Scripting > Disable Active scripting

I've narrowed it down to a suspecting JS script, taken down now. Let me know if the problem persists. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks, I no longer see it (only tried a few pages tho) at TechSpot.com
unfortunately I still see it at many other sites.

I just noticed your fix (I'm tired) I'll have to give it a go

Was it KB2809289 that caused this issue?
I can confirm it's fixed, just being curious :)

FYI this is how the error looked on WinXP on IE8:

CloseIE8.png

I'm not sure what is going on now. Initially I was getting the error msg as shown by mrtraver who started the thread. I then disabled scripting which ended the msg, but reduced functionality by too much so I re-enabled it, and re-enabled the error msg's. I read the KB article, tried to apply relevant patch, told my OS that it is already on my system, but since then I am not getting the error message anymore...seems to work now.

It was a bug in one JS script we were running (now removed), so there's no need to modify your IE settings (unless you want to hide that kind of prompt for any site).

I can't even get into techspot using IE10. My home page is www.kirotv.com .
I typed in techspot,tapped enter & nothing.
I even copied/pasted the techspot URL & still nothing. I'm not concerned since I use Firefox, but
just bringing it for general info I guess.

I can't even get into techspot using IE10. My home page is www.kirotv.com .
I typed in techspot,tapped enter & nothing.
I even copied/pasted the techspot URL & still nothing. I'm not concerned since I use Firefox, but
just bringing it for general info I guess.

I was not able to buy using your homepage search tool either. Have you tried typing the URL for Techspot in Ie 10 address bar? That worked for me.

If you're talking about a search bar in IE 10, I don't have one.
I don't have a use for or use IE for anything. Just FF,SeaMonkey & Opera.

You should , At the end of the address bar, Their should be a magnifine Glass shape their. Click on that it will give you options for search.

learninmypc, Cobalt006
Not sure what you are talking about, but doesn't seem to be related to the bug that was reported earlier on.

Also, how come TechSpot doesn't work in IE10? If you type "techspot.com" on the address bar and then hit enter?

learninmypc, Cobalt006
Not sure what you are talking about, but doesn't seem to be related to the bug that was reported earlier on.

Also, how come TechSpot doesn't work in IE10? If you type "techspot.com" on the address bar and then hit enter?

I am not having a problem getting to TechSpot threw Ie10. LearninMyPC Is. I was just trying to help him. I don't see this as a TechSpot problem. I think maybe his Ie my not be set up right as far as security settings and so forth.

Back