IE6 file download open attachment empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

rf6647

I have seen this before, but I am not able to re-discover the solution.

Attempts to view attachments in posts on this bulletinboard, receive a dialog box that the temporary file cannot be found in "...rf6647\temporary internet files\content.ie5\.....".

However, saving the attachment is successful.

This problem affects both logins on this computer in the same manner. Problem is not seen from another computer.

Not successful in correcting problem:
CCleaner.
IE6>tools>internet options>temporary internet files ! delete
chkdsk /f

So please point me back to basics.

I don't think getting IE7 is your answer. It is a new version of Internet Explorer, not an update for IE6. Therefore you don't use IE7 to fix a problem in IE6!

But I would encourage you to do the full Error Check. My preference is this path:
My Computer> Right click on Local Drive-usually C> Properties> Tools tab> Error Check> check both boxes on the screen that comes up (fix and scan)> OK> Reboot> Let the checking run- system will reboot when through.

See if this helps.

Replacing IE6 with IE7 will fix the problem... as will re-installing IE6 from disc which is still widely available.

Spot-on

Your collective advice was spot-on and was reflected in How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP.

I gave up the fight against IE7 and installed it. It fixed the problem. Additionally, I was quite surprised that IE7 is smoother & peppier than when I trashed it over a year ago.

Other methods in KB318378 involving re-installing IE6 were silent about the work involved to re-apply security patches. I feared it would involve a lot of manual effort.

Further problem signature:
The url reference using the "attachment.php" argument received a failure message that the site was not available. At TechSpot, attachments to posts use this argument. Using the hyperlink showing the filename receives error message that the file does not exist (empty reference). I was not able to find a way to clear this condition that appears related to Java VM [windoze].

IE7 is installed. IE7 fixed the problem. The reference to "attachment.php" was as close as I could come to identifying the problem. This is my wife's machine, so it is hands off until it is broken. Java release 6 did not address the symptom and it was a wild guess that It could. It was also a guess that a guess that Java was used on the source page. IE6 uses Java VM as a plug in and I believe that it is no longer supported by MS after losing the court case to Sun Microsystems years ago. When it comes to HTML, CSS, and everything else about viewing the source for web pages is beyond my pea-brain. I am a gear-head, not a soft-head.

A separate note about your view about SP3 vs SP2, as well as, others who make regular, valuable contributions here @ TS. Thanks for the tip about HP/Compaq fixes for the XP builds affecting AMD platforms. I'll check out HP on this. I still have not forgiven them for their "NVidia TwinView fix"

The url reference using the "attachment.php"

The cause of the problem was because the message was written IMP. IMP is the Internet Messaging Program. It is written in PHP and provides webmail access to IMAP and POP3 accounts.

Your system did not recognize this and could have been handled by going into Folder Options> Files Types> and setting the php file extension to be opened by your email client.

http://www.horde.org/imp/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back