IE7 / Vista will not exit - suspect malware/trojan/virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi TS community. I have run through the 8 steps. Please see attached logs. Here is the problem i am experiencing:

When using IE7 on a vista machine, regardless of how long I have been browsing, if I attempt to close a tab, or close IE itself, I get an error stating that IE experienced an error and will shut down. Another error box states that Data Execution Prevention has found an error and will shut down IE. The only problem is, IE doesn't shut down - it just reloads all the open pages.

The only way to shut it down is to open task manager and kill it. This is a friend's machine, and I don't have screen shots of the error messages yet, but will try to get them. In the meantime, I am hoping that some of you gurus here might be able to see some clues in the attached logs. Thanks for your help!

Another thing of note - this issue only seems to happen with IE. Google Chrome has no issues. I am not even certain if this is a virus or malware, but it feels like it is.

One of the logs is noting IE8. Why is this? Vista needs the Service Pack 2 update. Many other Windows Updates may be needed too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back