IE8 won't allow certain sites to open

First post so I hope I'm following protocol.
Searched this forum with no joy and spent an hour paging through posts.
I have on my PC Win 7 running IE 8.
This is a new Pc that I built. All has run really well until a few days ago when from nowhere IE would not allow numerous sites to open. They take forever to get up and mostly just time out. Some will eventually open but are incomplete and not workable.
The majority of sites that I go to work just fine.
It may be coincidental but none of the newspaper sites that I visit regularly will open.
I have run a full scan with CA (my main security) Run a full scan with Malawarebytes, and put Advance System Care through its paces. All have come up clear.
I loaded Firefox but it does exactly the same thing.
does anyone have any ideas please?

Forgot to mention that every time I load MS Silverlight onto the system Windows freezes after being idol for 10mins or so and requires a reboot. I have taken Silverlight off.

G Port

It's most likely not IE8 but the updated malwarebytes that's stopping you opening sites. It's been a huge issue over the past couple of months.

I ended up getting rid of it becuase I couldn't find the setting to turn it of..it so bad it thinks Mickey Mouse is a danger

@ G Port
Yes, Malwarebytes’ and some other security tools will not allow you to access certain sites they have blacklisted. But MBAM should produce a clearly visible popup above the systray informing you of the fact.

@ Tanlic
To bypass site blocking by MBAM, go to the site blocked, and when the popup appears, right click on the MBAM icon in systray and activate the option “Add to ignore list”.

Though often there is good cause for blacklisting the sites, it’s true that it sometimes does it for mysterious reasons. For example, if the majority of sites using a server are malicious, it blocks them all, including the non-malicious ones. It also blocks sites that produce e.g. excessive popups or link to malicious sites, but are not themselves dangerous. In this last case, I add the site itself to the ignore list, but let it block the malicious sites linked to it.

Internet Explorer slow on some sites.

I don't use Malwarebytes, but info from others could be right.
A few other things you could try;
>In IE8, 'Tools', 'internet options' tick 'Delete browsing history on exit'.

>In the 'search box' type 'internet explorer', when the options appear, click on the second one down, 'Internet Explorer (no add ons)'. It just could be as simple as that.

> Also I would advise using 'CCleaner' often, to clear out the clutter from browsing.
Hope that helps, apologise if it's too simple.

It wasn't IE8

I found the solution to the problem.
Someone in another forum suggested that I should ring my ISP tech support. This I did and the problem was fixed with one question. "Do you leave your modem running continuously even when the computer is switched off?"
Yes!
For memory I think the following was the explanation.
When this is done the modem gets stuck onto one static IP address which prevents some sites from opening. The modem should be in a continuous roving IP address mode.
The Techy had me turn the modem off, reboot my PC and restart the modem and WALLA!!!!, problem fixed.
No doubt it was slightly more involved at his end of the line but it was that simple to solve.
Another avenue for you to explore.
G Port

Back